HybridZ
Invincibleextremes

Ford Super 8.8 irs swap thread. Rear brakes too

Alrighty, so after doing some reading, LOTS of reading, I have decided I am developing an end all, be all ultimate super 8.8 swap.  The key features of THIS setup are as follows.

-bolt on 2015 mustang hub assembly.  No more $$$$ stub axles prone to breaking.

-bolt on 2007 subaru coilover strut, buy cheap or buy ultra nice, entirely up to you.

-bolt on s30 rear lower control arms...  again use stock, or nice pieces like Arizona Z car etc, your choice.

-will have stock 2015 mustang brake mounting points.  We're talking disc brakes with built in parking brake in the caliper, and take off brakes for less than $200. There is a plethora of brake available for these cars, including Baer brakes drag setup that lets you use 15 inch wheels for sticky slicks on drag nights.

-3.15, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73 or 4.09 gears And limited slip torsen differentials for $262 to  $700 dollars for complete low mileage units. Super 8.8 much stronger than the 8.8 of yesteryear.  

-800 hp 930 cv axles COMPLETE for $1,299 for the pair.  34 spline into the diff and 32 at the hub.  No more stub axles, companion flanges, or custom diff axle stubs or adapter needed.  This price was quoted to me today from the "Driveshaft shop".  I contacted them about custom length 2015 mustang axles and that's the price they gave me.

-rebuildable cv joints, you only have to buy the custom axles once, and rebuild them as needed for much much cheaper.

This setup could easily be adapted to use the 2002 and up explorer 8.8 but that would require asking the driveshaftshop to make you custom 31 spline axle stubs instead of the 34 spline ones they include in the $1299 price.

This is something I am building for myself.  But if anyone wants some I will gladly make extras.

I'm just blown away at the prices of things for our Z cars, and decided to bring something to market that would potentially benefit the guys who want something more than oddball custom for stupid money.  Aside from the custom length 930 cv axles EVERYTHING is off the shelf cheap and strong parts.  Cheap brakes, cheap bearing hubs, cheap differentials, cheap limited slip. And so on.

Also, I am designing a front disc brake setup as well.  The idea is to use all 4 disc brakes off a 2015 mustang for balanced and affordable braking.  It'll require a 17 or 18 inch wheel, but the guys running 800hp turbo is engines or 2jz swaps are usually already there anyway...

If you have any better suggestions for a strut I'm open to ideas.

Edited by Invincibleextremes
2007 strut, not 09

Yes, it will all revolve around a custom knuckle.  Just like the intrepid based setup, and just like the r230 z32 knuckle from Arizona Z car and so on.

The key difference is the hub, brakes, and struts will all be off the shelf, keeping costs down for everyone, including me.

No boring out a wilwood rotor hat or anything like that.  Just off the shelf bolt on and go brakes, crack a rotor? Go buy one and be driving the same day, don't like your spring rates?  Go order a different wrx strut and bolt on and go...

Yeah, except I'm not a fan of q45 or z32 parts, their strength or their pricing...

I like the pricing of their backing plates front mount and mustache bar, in theory someone could just order those and the axle conversion they sell and get away with it on the cheap... except they'd be stuck building a strut.  So more or less you're stuck paying the full asking price of the kit, which btw isn't cheap.  And still need to source the short nose r200, and axles and brakes.

I don't know know man, it just doesn't sit well with me.

I like the idea that someone could buy some backing plates, a diff mount, and custom length axles and some cheap $250 coilover struts and be on the road with a setup that can handle 800hp...

Edited by Invincibleextremes
Add info

I followed Will, I follow Spitsnaugle and very much applaud your efforts.  I have an LS1 powered 240Z and it already has an 8.8 in it.  The 8.8 is from a Lincoln MK 8.  I used the TTT front mount which is for a Q45  and is dimensional almost exactly an 8.8.  Had to trim the drive shaft area little  We made the rear mount which is really cobbled together but so far has held up.  Bought DSS output stubs for the diff side and they are off the shelf to 930 CV.  I bought 930 CV to Z flanges and then had custom axles made.  I know the outer stubs are my weak link and have a set of 280z stubs waiting for winter project time (discs, springs etc. will happen at the same time).  In short the only thing left Z is those outer stubs, which if/when they break I will just buy good ones.  From the outside the car looks like a stock 240z with ZX wheels, which was the goal for me.  We chose to keep it simple.  Not re invent the wheel.

I would like a better rear mount but the Z car Depot seems expensive, Spitnaugle is on the right track but need to find out pricing from him when he is done.  If someone comes up with even better, great.  Keep working on it.  R.   

I found a guy in CA who made them.  One of the retail guys who makes dune buggy axles gave his number since only sold certain lengths.  I measured the distance and then he made them.  I have his number but can't find the exact amount, and in all honesty I don't remember how much they were but I think they were about 250 a pair. BUT DON'T HOLD ME TO THAT.   By dealing with the machining guy they were less than retail, I did have to wait a while but I was ok with that.  I would have to call him to ask if I could give out his number and it has been about a year.  I think since we are also in the industry he did me a favor.  HTH, Richard.