HybridZ

ZX Weatherstrip Supplier

Mayolives

I just purchased another ZX. It's a 79, one owner since 1979, lived most of it's life in rust free Texas and is in really nice, clean condition.  I've decided to replace it's tired seat covers and carpet.  Their is evidence of some water entering the front floor area and the rear deck area.  It appears that a tail light weather strip is the rear leak's culprit and the smashed and torn door seals need to be replaced.  MSA had the tail light seals but can't help me with any other weather-stripping for a ZX.  After searching all my other Z parts suppliers, I can't find any ZX seals.   Does anyone know of a supplier for them?   Several years ago, I needed seals for an old Volvo restoration project and had Steele Rubber Products make what I needed at a  cost of two arms and two legs!   I suspect they  could help me again with ZX weather-stripping but hopefully I won't need to take that route. Any recommendations for a ZX weather-stripping supplier or ideas for using seals designed for another car that would work on a ZX would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure that I'm not the only ZX owner in need!  

you are not the only one looking. i have made more than a couple posts asking for the same. the 280zx doesnt get alot of attention "yet". i just started taking apart my car to re-paint this winter and alot of my door weatherstripping is marginal. i have been searching for a few years now. i made phone calls to all datsun parts suppliers and all weather stripping co.'s. even used ones are impossible to find. most weatherstripping co.'s focus on american cars. please post as i will if you find something. weather its new rubber or pieces from a different car that will work. 

ive contacted many companies trying to get them to make a batch of door seals but none of the companies would do to the fact it was a parts store chain like rockauto, etc. asking for the production. i had to buy a set of used door seals since mine were blown but they'll have to do until we get new ones produced!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, the_lettuce said:

i got mine from zcarsource, a bit pricy but i had them installed in august 2015 still holding up fine however it does not include t-top and doors (doors weatherstrip were from a kia sportage)  t-top i can't remember what i did :unsure:

if you could remember what you did for the t-tops that would be awesome? im in the middle of trying to figure out what misc pieces i can use for the doors and t-tops.

thank you 

Edited by G-Tech

1 hour ago, G-Tech said:

if you could remember what you did for the t-tops that would be awesome? im in the middle of trying to figure out what misc pieces i can use for the doors and t-tops.

thank you 

I went back to zcarsource's website they have t-tops but.. one side is available while the other is sold out 

https://zcarsource.com/weatherstrip-seals/weatherstrip-280zx/t-top-weatherstrip 

contact them maybe they'd have something soon? but they are pricy so hopefully there are other alternatives :(