HybridZ

2jz or LS3

I currently have a 73' 240z that I bought with a chevy 350 already swapped in. Currently this car is my daily driver and I'm looking for another engine to swap In. I think I have decided that i should either get the LS3 or the 2jz. I'm looking for about 400+ horsepower and I would like this car to be somewhat smooth and daily drive-able. I have about 12k to spend on the whole swap including the tranny and all the extra accessory pieces needed. I probably won't autocross or drag this car and it will just remain as a street machine. What setup do you guys thing would be best?

First off welcome to the forums.

2nd, we don't really use the word best here, in fact it is a forum rule/guideline take a minute and peruse it, you will find a more intelligent discussion if you can phrase the question more precisely. One could make a numerical argument for something over the other, but best is a matter of opinion and is highly subject on purpose, use, budget, place in life, location, etc etc etc. There really is no best, semantically there can not be a best of two options, one can only be better then the other, once again still highly subject.

They are very different engines that deliver power differently, it will be up to you to decide what you want. An LS3 could probably be pushed to 400 or so HP NA I imagine. Linear torque curve and all. The 2jzgte can hit 400 on the stock twins which are a sequential setup, a 2jzge NA-T could hit 400hp with a small single turbo. An LS3 swap may be easier to start, as the 2jz option only has one really good option for an off the shelf kit, which will set you back quite a bit more compared to an LS swap kit. The 2jz can be easier to add hp depending on your turbo selection and injector size it would be a matter of turning up the boost. Where as on the LS you might have to start considering forced induction if the power bug hit you.

Does it have to be manual?

The 2jz manual options can be pricey. The V160/161 occupying over half of your budget with a good clutch. The CD009 while being much cheaper is still quite a bit in the conversion/adapting hardware. The R154 while also substantially cheaper with upgrades and a twin disc is still a good amount of your budget. The W58 can be a very cheap option, but also is known for not holding too much torque and power, not really a long term option.

Easiest I imagine would be going from chevy to chevy. Someone else might be able to chime in regarding the mounts and stuff between a 350 and an LS. Any reason you don't want to push the 350 to 400hp? That seems like a lot of money to save a bit of weight with the LS if that was the route to go. I imagine new heads, different intake, maybe even a supercharger or blower would put you in that range with very minimal work.

• Like 1

NA LS is lighter than 2jz and typically has a more neutral weight distribution.   Both options will be a blast to drive.  My LS swap was pretty easy and I have more than enough power to weight for my use of track and autoX as well as the occasional sprint to work or in the mountains when I get a wild hair. I've had turbos on other cars (350Z) and it was kind of finicky with tune/boost/etc but it was stupid fast..... 2jz motors are bullet proof and freakishly fast as well.  Crunch the numbers and check your skills with turning wrenches and pick the "best" option to suit your needs.  Most of all, have fun   

Jim 

I will point out all drivetrains have weaknesses. The 2jz has its own share: FMS, oil pump, RMS, oil pan torque, thrust bearing a few among most likely more. Even with a real good engine you can always have assembly error with incorrect timing belt length, incorrectly seated o-rings, poorly installed seals, etc. Make sure to factor in a basic check into your budget, pulling bearings, checking seals, chasing threads. 

You can't lose with either option but theres something about keeping an inline 6 ...and BOOOOOOOOST!

I went with Microtech with my JZ swap and had a SUPER easy time installing... I also used CX racing mounts. They did a decent enough job!