HybridZ

Q's on FricFrac Ms setup and injector impedance

Slowpoke

So I'm trying to upgrade the stock fuel injectors to 440cc injectors and am having trouble figuring out if I can easily install high impedance injectors on my setup.  I have put myself in a bad place by not thoroughly documenting my build,  purchasing products with no longer existing support and lack of understanding of how said products work (Note to self, don't do that!).

Story is I purchased and installed a Megasquirt (v3?) and harness from FricFrac right before he went AWOL, and with his limited help and the help of some good local people I was able to get my car running pretty well. My communications with Fricfrac were often confusing, mostly my fault for lack of understanding and planning, and i failed to document what exactly i had purchased from him. During setup it became apparent that FricFrac may have built my megasqurit under the impression that i was already running 440cc injectors, while i actually was running stock injectors. I believe we adjusted the the REQ fuel settings to adjust for this. I do not remember making any changes to PWM settings.  I had the car tuned by a local guy, and then checked over by TimZ and was able to enjoy driving it through the summer with minimal issue. Now I would like to upgrade the injectors and have been having trouble deciding what to do because I don't know what I have and I am unable to contact the one person who would know for sure. I need help figuring out what i have exactly so i can move forward.

My Setup:

280Z

l28et(81) mostly stock + intercooler and exhuast

stock injectors, removed factory resistor pack

Megasquirt V? and harness built by FricFrac (i believe it was V3 i requested, but i need to find a way to verify)

Would like to upgrade injectors and turbo

My Questions:

1. What version MS do I have?

2. What impedance Injectors is it currently set up for?

3. If I am set up for low impedance Injectors, am I using PWM,  a Flyback board or Resistors?

4. If I am set up for high impedance injectors, are my PWM setting correct, or am i at risk of burning something out?

5. If I decide to use low impedance 440cc injectors, does a stock bodied injector exist? (barbed fitting, same fits the manifold without modification)

6. If I decide to use high impedence 440cc, can i just install them, disable PWM and tune? ( I know the answer for this depends on the answer for Q's 1,2, and 3)

I attached a couple of pics and an MSQ. Let me know if i need to clarify or there is any other info i can grab/screen shot.

Thanks in advance guys!

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 9.54.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 9.53.03 AM.png

2017-12-06_10.01.56.msq

Looks like your setup for low Z injectors using PWM.   Switching to a high Z injector will be the switch of a few key strokes and most likely swapping the connectors on the end of your harness.   Don't want to sound like a broken record, but read the manual.   This time, the tuner studio manual.   It goes over every setting fairly well and you will be able to get it going.  Don't skim as you will be bound to miss something.  I believe PWM current limiting will be turned off, change the injector size to 440cc and track down the specifications of your new injectors and toss them in.  

Contact Motorman Injectors or Osidetiger for some injectors.  Let them know what your doing, and they will be able to set you up for probably around $2-300.

Edit:  Sorry, I noticed you wanted a barbed injector.     I do believe these exist,   Motorman would be to the goto for this as he has a very very wide selection online.

Edited by HuD 91gt

Thanks for the info and advice Hud. From the manual i gathered that it might be on PWM current limiting (which would mean i'm properly set up for low impedance injectors), but i don't trust myself in making sure i am properly applying what i am reading.  Thanks for verifying! Will check Motorman and Osidetiger.

• 3 weeks later...

1. What version MS do I have?

looks like ms3. if you have 2 db37 connectors you are on ms3x

2. What impedance Injectors is it currently set up for?

low cause pwm isenabled.

3. If I am set up for low impedance Injectors, am I using PWM,  a Flyback board or Resistors?

you are using pwm feature in ms board, not external resistors 

4. If I am set up for high impedance injectors, are my PWM setting correct, or am i at risk of burning something out?

for high z injectors you set to 100 % which disables pwm current modulating

5. If I decide to use low impedance 440cc injectors, does a stock bodied injector exist? (barbed fitting, same fits the manifold without modification)

YES there are low z injectors that are barbs other than l28 injectors . I amUsing 440 rb injectors they are low indentical to l28 injectors it is Oring however I have it on hose and clamp. With my own barbed rail.

6. If I decide to use high impedence 440cc, can i just install them, disable PWM and tune? ( I know the answer for this depends on the answer for Q's 1,2, and 3)

yes set to 100% and remove resistor box if you have one.

You could PM Chickenman and hire him to help you thru this process of figuring out all this . He has helped me out and is familiar with MS.

Hussein (Softopz) is also really good with this stuff if he hires himself also. 

Chickenman(Richard) is really good with software and Softopz puts these kits together !!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Softopz for verifying.

Ive' been off site for a while and since then installed 440cc high impedance injectors. I gather i did not have any sort of resistor pack since i did have PWM turned on before. Since the injector install, I turned off PWM and updated the REQ Fuel by using the calculator to 7.0.  It started and ran a little rough but i held off running it long because i needed to address an exhaust leak near the o2 sensor.

Softopsz, please PM me with a consulting rate. I would like you to verify some of my setting and ask you for a few tips and tricks.