HybridZ
rturbo 930

New adjustable control arm option from Apex Engineeredd

Just stumbled on these. Haven't seen these mentioned here, so I thought I'd give you all a heads up. I don't think I've seen anyone sell a control arm with this design before.

Anyway, here they are: http://www.apexengineered.com/store/p2/240z%2F260z%2F280z_Rear_Control_Arms.html

Looks like it's their first product, too.

On 12/18/2017 at 10:15 AM, socorob said:

It looks like it has a heim joint on both ends of the back side. Would that be able to move up and down slightly during driving, giving slight caster changes all the time?

The rear rod-end link allows an extra degree of freedom when you add a toe angle other than 0. Rigid H-arm LCAs load up the strut/bushings while rotating instead.

The loading in the LCA is much different than the others and this type of A-arm LCA has been discussed/debated extensively on Hybridz, but I believe the general consensus is that it's a superior design. 

I love reading through the old discussion threads. 

I've thought the same with the extra degree of freedom I think  I even posted on how I didn't understand, and I built my own A-arms. I think we like to look for extra degrees of freedom, but don't factor in things like the strut being bolted in having a limit in movement and length as well as the axles and such.

Bottom line is it works, the wheels don't do anything crazy when you accelerate or brake, I do plan on throwing on a camera to try some slow motion of a launch eventually.

The rear link allows the distance between the inner and outer rear pivot points to change as the LCA swings thru it's arc instead of forcing the motion thru the strut. The motion is complicated enough that it's difficult to visualize, at least for me.  I had convinced myself that it worked back when those old threads were active...BUT, I didn't model it kinematically so, there may be a factor that I'm not considering.  In other words, I could have it all wrong! :P