HybridZ

MS2 No Spark

schicksal

Hi I am hoping some of you guys can give me some direction with the problem i am having. I have installed a ms2 v3.0 board on my l28et swapped 280z I had the car running fine on the stock ecu and harness with a z31 coil and prw-2 transistor module. I built the harness using the diyautotune harness all of the sensors are working and rpm signal injectors are firing I can smell fuel when I crank the engine. I did buy the ecu second hand the mods that it has are a map daddy, boost control, and pwm idle control. I am using the 83 distributor with the optical sensor and have it configured the way it's on the how to megasquirt your l28et in the diyautotune site. I have attached a copy of my .msq file and some pictures of my ecu please let me know what else  I could test and if you see anything off in my software or hardware that might be causing it not to fire. Thanks

ms2front.jpg

ms2back.jpg

l28etnospark.msq

Don't have tunerstudio here, I'll take a look later in the evening.

Test spark output in test mode.

If you are getting an RPM signal that means the ECU is being informed of when it should fire, aka input. You need to test if it is able to send the signal to fire, aka output. If it is not generating a spark then you know your problem lies with the output area, trace from the ECU until you find your break.  

You really should put a bit of electrical tape or liquid tape around the legs of the exposed driver. 

Wait...  If you're using an ignitor (transistor ignition, electronic ignition module), are you using a logic level spark output to the ignitor?  

I'm a bit of a noob with MS, but I see the BIP installed and isn't it a high-current spark output to drive the coil directly? (without the need for a transistor ignition module)  Sorry if I'm off base, but your comment about using a Z31 coil and prw-2 stuck out to me...

Thanks for your help guys. I figured out there is a fault in the board or in the software settings not triggering spark output. When I test spark output in tunerstudio it does trigger the coil but for some reason when I crank it does not get spark.

I borrowed a ms1 and the car started right up but now it is running rough. (Needs some tuning)

I removed the transistor module and wired the coil directly still will not start with the ms2 but worked fine with the ms1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey keep at it you'll figure it out.Thing with buying a board 2nd hand and that was used I Would  I go over the whole build manual and see if first assembly was put together fine and do the tests just to be sure also could use a wash with alcohol.

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htm it wont take that long Go to hall input for settuping with l28et dizzy

Then go 2nd article. Set board again go over and Q16 high current driver properly (looks like theres allot going on there but its hard to see) and hall input

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/nissan-datsun/megasquirt-your-280zx-turbo/

I see that c12 and c30 removed good, also q4 and pwm idle control but why is c11 removed its part of the HALL input construction.

Also I believe R57 suppose to be removed as well.

Goodluck

Your transistor on q16 doesn't need those jumper I think its setup as logic level for smart coil MS2 could drive a single coil off that transistor you dont need the 

"prw-2 transistor module".

The only change is to enable the IGBT High Current Ignition Coil Driver Circuit to directly drive the coil. 

• Remove the jumper from JS10 to IGN or the center hole of Q16 (if exists)
  • Jumper IGBTIN to JS10
  • Jumper IGBTOUT to IGN (V3.0 only)
  • If you do not have a BIP373 transistor in the Q16 slot, install it.

That’s it!

Edited by softopz

On 12/15/2017 at 6:03 PM, schicksal said:

Thanks for your help guys. I figured out there is a fault in the board or in the software settings not triggering spark output. When I test spark output in tunerstudio it does trigger the coil but for some reason when I crank it does not get spark.

I borrowed a ms1 and the car started right up but now it is running rough. (Needs some tuning)

I removed the transistor module and wired the coil directly still will not start with the ms2 but worked fine with the ms1

Thats because your internal transistor on q16 (with green jumpers dont need all those jumpers) remove them and just install a pull up for pin 24. 

https://www.diyautotune.com/jwplayer_viral/images/cartech_articles/280zx/280zxt_v3_igbt_wiring.jpg

again go through the build manual than diy article. Set your hardware right and your software. Then set your trigger angle and you should be running.

Edited by softopz