HybridZ

Flat top now or later

98cobra+75280z

Working on rebuilding a 260z and as hoping there might be some experience here to help me decide on and engine path.  Currently I have two l28s, one n42/n42 and one n42/n47.  The n42/n42 combo was running earlier this year so could be dropped in as is and run.  I'm planning on running triple DCOE45s with a hotter cam.  My two options now are to rebuild the good n42 bottom end as well and toss flat tops in it.  Second option is to just drop the good l28 in and put in the triple webers and run it like that while in the background rebuilding the other l28 bottom end with flat tops and swapping them down the road.  I guess I'd like to try and figure out how much more fun and responsive the engine would be with flat tops and if it would warrant rebuilding the good engine now instead of later.  Has anyone just swapped in triples and ran them on a low compression l28?  Was it still a worth while upgrade or do you really need the bump in compression to take advantage of the carbs? 

Don't know much about carbs but I think a stock cam and stock compression will never perform wonder ( I guess unless you put in nitro or turbo it).

I am confused. So there are 2 engines:

Stock Engine 1. Run earlier this year and should be good.

Stock Engine 2. Needs a rebuild

Both cars are out of the engine? Car has no engine?

If you want the drive the car now then put in the good engine and rebuild the bad engine in the background. Is there any benefits of rebuilding good engine over bad engine?

12 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Don't know much about carbs but I think a stock cam and stock compression will never perform wonder ( I guess unless you put in nitro or turbo it).

I am confused. So there are 2 engines:

Stock Engine 1. Run earlier this year and should be good.

Stock Engine 2. Needs a rebuild

Both cars are out of the engine? Car has no engine?

If you want the drive the car now then put in the good engine and rebuild the bad engine in the background. Is there any benefits of rebuilding good engine over bad engine?

Car is stripped down prepping for new floors with no engine/trans/etc, and will be down for at least most of next year is my guess.  You're correct I have two engines one needing rebuilt and one that is in running condition.  I guess my biggest question is if I postpone the rebuild/upgrade will I also need to change up the triples a lot or will it just need re-jetting and fine tuning for the higher compression engine.