HybridZ

Lost 3 lap pads

Bwales

I have read on multiple forums about broken valve springs, wrong adjustments, stuck valves etc.

So I went for a short trip to my local club meeting in my 240z(l28) and came back with no issue. I tried to start it up the next day and it was noisy (valve train). I opened up the valve cover and found not one but THREE lash pads off. What the heck could cause such a thing? This car had sat for a very long time before I got it and I have less than 1k mikes on it since I bought it. On its second oil change since not sitting up. 

When I popped a lash pad, a valve ended up knicking a piston.  Stainless valves were too tight in cast guides and with the heat of normal engine operation lodged a valve stem in the guide and the piston tapped the valve.

i noticed looking through the spark plug hole and seeing the minor marking on the piston.

So the valves were adjusted a few weeks ago. On the three valves that threw the pad, the springs seem either really weak or the lifter seems stuck. The rocker will barely contact the pad. I can't imagine it being that far out of adjustment so soon. 

The retainers look to be the same all around. I did witness one getting stuck and I tapped it and it popped back up. I just hoping it isn't bent. I am hoping to buy a compression/leak down test kit so I can see if they are seating properly. 

What engine / year? Update your signature. Not that uncommon in an early head that has sat too long bronze seats , gummed up guides . My 71 did that also. The valve sticks and the lash pads turn on the retainer and get kicked off. Not real fix but you could try some Marvel Mystery oil in the oil and gas . I would fill my car up at the airport( years ago) with 100LL and seemed to help. 

Sorry - just saw that you put that it was a L28 , so disregard the early head stuff , but still might be a gummy issue

Edited by madkaw