HybridZ

LS1 Crossmember pics

Busy equals me, had some time Sunday to work on the car though:

NewCrossmemberOver1.jpg

It's all painted now - I'll be adding an actual page to my site at some point with more pics. It's not exactly a K as I've been saying. More like a π (pi).

It's a bear installing/removing that thing since now it's got 4 mount points and a total of 10 bolts and bolt holes that have to be lined up. Plus, I wasn't smart enough to pre-drill the driver's side (first side I did) strut rod hump with the unwelded crossmember arm bracket to ensure that the hole lined up with each other. So the pass side:

PassMountPlate.jpg

is all perfecto and the driver's side takes some wrestling. I think I've decided to make the mount towers separately and have them bolt to the crossmember. They'll also bolt to the frame rails, so it seemed like the best way to do it - more work though of course (drilling is harder and slower than welding icon_wink.gif ). And I'm not boxing in the angle iron arms. It's definately strong enough as is. This thing coupled with a K strut tower/firewall brace is gonna make for one stiff chassis.

The really bad news is that even though I kept promising myself not to turn this into an ordeal, I've already started prepping the bay for primer and paint icon_rolleyes.gif . I don't know why I do this to myself. So, that'll probably add a few weeks to the project. The main reason I'm doing this (apart from t he fact that it's all red right now and I plan to eventually paint the car another color), is that the passenger frame near the front had a rusy spot with pinholes, So I went over some other suspect areas and found more. Had to cut a chunk out of the driver side strut tower area (where the 2 layers of metal are) and weld in some new metal.

Beating up the trans tunnel was harder than I thought it was gonna be. There were many spots where my trusty 5 pound sledge just kept bouncing off. Had to search out the "sweet spots" to get some caving in action. I think I'm gonna have to go over it again. Better too much room than not enough.

Nice work! I like how you've tied in the frame rails to the crossmember - but will you have clearance issues with the exhaust headers? Have you trial fit the motor after this installation?

I guess there are lots of questions....keep us informed!

I'm impressed with your K-member, how it looks, and how the member bolts up. Very cool icon_cool.gif I echo your thoughts on the strength aspect of the new member. Also, it should increase overall chassis stiffness just like you said. Nice job! icon_smile.gif

Davy

Thanks.

No exhaust clearance issues. Well, I mean there are lots of exhaust clearance issues, but they happen way before the exhaust gets down to crossmember level. The big interferer is the steering shaft. And on the passenger side, the frame rail is pretty cozy with the flange.

So, for both sides, I am lopping off the (large shifty.gif ) flanges on the stock LS1 manifolds and will weld on some extension tubes.

I'm going to be buying straight mild steel tubing and then try that sand/heat trick that was posted about earlier (by ?). Need to save some dollars on this project and those mandrel bends are pricey.

Side note: Notice the red oil all over the place? Last time I puled the motor the hardlines on the firewall caught the cap on the trans tail and pulled it off - fluid everywhere icon_mad.gif

Also, how do you like my clever marking technique for the motor mount tower location on the driver's side arm? All it takes is having the engine in place with the metal sitting just so for about 2 weeks, a couple of foggy mornings - bingo! Much better than magic marker icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Jeromio, Looks like it's comming along. I was lucky when I did mine, work was slow and I was able to work daily for about two months. I'm now wishing I had installed headers the first time. I'm now wanting to install stage II heads and B1 cam and probley have to work headers in as well. I also wish I had installed a 3200 RPM stall converter when I was installing the first time. Seems I getting use to 300 RWHP and want more. So plan ahead! bonk.gif

Well, I have more time than money. Sadly, I have very little time.

Anyway, Headers would be nice, I'll let you figure out which ones will fit icon_smile.gif .

As to getting used to the power - I really cannot imagine that right now. I'm currently driving a 6000 pound truck with maybe 100hp. My wife's minivan seems fast compared to that.

I suspect that in your case, since your car is already all purttied up with shiny paint and interior and those Panasports - the only thing left to tinker with is the powerplant icon_razz.gif .

When I'm done with the LS1 I'll be moving on to wiring, then the cage, maybe some carpet (interior is bare metal right now). Then there's bodywork, prep and paint, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. Plenty to keep me busy.

Guest Anonymous

Jeronimo...lookin good! I'm paying close attention to your motor mounts, as the cradle for my RX is made for a LT-1.. SO while I can't use your ideas verbatim, they will definately help!!

I might have to stop by some time, since we are in the same town!!

Jeromio,

You will have the Z running before the cage and other stuff, yes? One ride, and you'll be motivated for life! I won't take my wife on a 'scary' ride in any Z because she will get paranoid that I'm driving a fast car--she worries that I will get creamed by someone else or do something stupid. Hopefully yours is not the same way.

Davy