HybridZ

WHICH BRAKE BOOSTER

The 75 - 78 280Z came with a 8.5 inch booster which is what I am using on my 72 240Z with 15/16 inch. The larger 8.5 inch 280Z booster made the pedal less stiff. I would like to have used the larger 10 inch 280ZX booster, but there was no room between the throttle bracket and the clutch slave. See pictures.

The space between the throttle bracket and the clutch slave is the limiting factor. The 280Z has more space between the throttle bracket and the clutch slave so a 79 280ZX booster might fit. I recall that the 280ZX booster is 10 inch diameter.  The 80 -83 280ZX booster uses a horizontal MC mounting flange whereas the 240Z, 280Z and 1979 280ZX use a vertical mounting flange.

I had many Hybridz links on booster swaps, but the links are now dead.

Note that there were changes in mounting bolt patterns and the clevis that connects to the clutch pedal. I swapped the push rod and clevis from the 72 booster to the 280Z booster so everything matched.

240z vs 280z booster comparison.jpg

Edited by Miles

Did you have to do anything with the mounting holes? Or was it a direct fit?

I recall you mentioned the 280z booster and the size in your brake performance thread, but then I saw Tamo and Dexter both say the 280zx boosters fit. Looks like they both have 280z's and those may have had a bigger spot? Then again, I read on classic Z that all boosters are interchangeable from 70-83 so I'm a bit confused.

The mounting hole pattern on the 240Z and 280Z are different. The horizontal spacing of the mounting studs is wider for the 280Z so I had to re-drill the mounting holes in the fire wall.

It has been eight years since I was working this issue, but I recall the that the 280Z and 280ZX bolt spacing is the same.

If you have a 76 280Z then your booster is most likely 8.5 inch diameter. And you should already have an 8.5 inch booster installed.

Time to measure the booster you have and also measure the space between the throttle bracket and the clutch slave. That will determine what diameter booster you can use.

If you have an automatic z then the clutch slave is no factor and you could install the 10 inch 280ZX booster.

240z booster.jpg

280z booster.jpg

Edited by Miles

• 1 month later...