HybridZ

5 Speed Transmission goes into gears, but is always in neutral.

supershanesta

Hey Guys,

I have just swapped an l28et into my 72 240z and it runs great. I got a 5 speed with my car, but it was never installed so I thought now would be the time to install it. I do not know the prior condition of the transmission, but it moved through all gears fine. I took the fly wheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing etc from my l24 4 speed transmission and bolted it on newly built l28et. The new clutch kit I bought was not bolting up properly and the flywheel the l28et it came with was in bad shape so I went with the stuff I knew worked in my old l24.

Here is the problem,

I can move through the gears with the shifter like butter, no issues. If I put the car in gear with the car off and I get out of the car and push it.... It can move freely. I put it in any gear, and it moves freely.

With the car on, same issues. It is always in neutral. I can start it, put it in first and it idles.

Does anyone have some insight on what could be potentially causing this. Maybe the whole transmission is bad? I usually assumed that the transmission would not go into gears if there was an issue. It seems as if the clutch is not engaged at all.

I appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks,

Shane

Possible mismatch of clutch parts e.g., 240z - 280Z throughout bearing components.

Do a Google search or HybridZ and search for 280Z transmission swaps.

Also, this issue has come up before so there should be some info here or at one of the other Z blogs.

Check the FSM for a 240Z and 280Z transmission.

21 hours ago, supershanesta said:

I got a 5 speed with my car, but it was never installed so I thought now would be the time to install it. I do not know the prior condition of the transmission, but it moved through all gears fine.

I took the fly wheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing etc from my l24 4 speed transmission and bolted it on newly built l28et. The new clutch kit I bought was not bolting up properly and the flywheel the l28et it came with was in bad shape so I went with the stuff I knew worked in my old l24.

Does "moved through all gears fine" mean that you turned the input shaft and saw the output shaft move, in each gear?  Or did you just move the shift lever?

If you did swap all of the parts, from flywheel to throwout bearing, and the bearing sleeve, the it seems like you've either jammed the pressure plate open somehow or the transmission is broken internally.  I'd pull the rubber boot off of the clutch fork, look inside, and wiggle the fork to make sure that the throwout bearing sleeve is loose on the nose of the transmission.  There should be play where the fork sits on the TOB sleeve.  You might need a mirror or a camera to get a look since you're head probably won't fit close enough to see inside, and you'll probably want to disconnect the slave cylinder rod.  If the pressure plate is applying pressure to the disc and the disc is splined to the input shaft then the input shaft has to turn.  If it's turning then the output shaft has to turn when the trans is in gear.

Are you sure that you din't leave the clutch disc out?  That would make everything look normal but not work.