HybridZ

78 280Z NA MS2 Setup

taaron

Thanks for the response! I didn't even think about having to order a new distributor cap/rotor so thats on the way now. 

All that seems like something I can do, but I'm a little stuck on the last part

Important. Phasing the distributor will alter your #1 Tooth Angle. So follow the Sync distributor steps and Lock you timing to 10 BTDC under Trigger wheel settings. With a timing light, adjust your #1 Tooth Angle to get the Timing mark lined up to 10 BTDC. Change the Fixed Timing back to " Use Table " Burn the settings. Then Cycle the ignition Off...wait 10 seconds and then back on. Any changes to Trigger Wheel settings usually require a Burn AND an Ignition Cycle to take effect. 

Any more information on this step? I'm a little completely lost here.

Also I may have missed an important step, how do I actually connect the new distributor to the rest of the system. Is it just a cable that I can't seem to find? And do I need a distributor mount like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-280ZX-E12-80-distributor-mount-plate-OEM-used-w-bolts/382365166699?hash=item5906bd6c6b:g:V-oAAOSw9NBab-wM&vxp=mtr

Or can I reuse the original one. 

Edited by taaron

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wiring is simple. Just hard to find a picture.

This should help you if you reference diyautotune...

You will be looking at the Dizzy Side for your wiring.

So using the image...

Red is 12v

White is Trigger wire

Black is Ground

White and black are found in the tach shielded wires together in your harness.

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/nissan-datsun/megasquirt-your-280zx-turbo/

20171024_115901.thumb.jpg.56ef0df195add5dbb069967938cc2fcf.jpg

Distributor Wire Colors

Colors of the wires on the distributor side of the 4 pin round connector, versus on the harness side.  You can connect in from either side.

Dizzy Side Harness Side Purpose
Red B/W 12v+
White G/B MS Trigger (to Pin 24 on DB37, or Relay Board TACH terminal)
Green G/Y not used
Black Black Ground

^ Ha Ha ha ... That's my Picture of my personal  distributor. Please note the above colors in the picture of my Dizzy are set up for a Haltech. With the DIY L28 Trigger wheel they flip the orientation of the slots from how Nissan originally had it. That flips the functions of the LED's reading the Trigger disk as well. 

On an MS2 with DIY L28 custom Trigger Wheel, the colors would be.

Dizzy side

Red = +12v

Black = Ground ( To sensor ground in MS ECU )

Green =  Cam Trigger ( If you want to use Full sequential Fuel or COP Ignition )

White =  Crank Trigger 

Edit: Also note that the above link ( https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/nissan-datsun/megasquirt-your-280zx-turbo/  ) is OLD information. That article was written long before DIY made their Custom L28 Trigger wheel. The above instructions were written by " MobyTheVan " I believe, and were a work around for L28 Optical dizzy's because the MS1 and MS2 could not decode the Nissan 360 slot wheel accurately. Note that the above instructions only give you a Basic Trigger system. You need the Cam Trigger to run COP or Full sequential. 

Unfortunately the MS sites are full of old outdated articles. You have to be very careful what you are reading. That's what happens when you have a platform that has multiple ways of being built and Software covering Multiple ECU's. 

Edited by Chickenman

3 hours ago, Chickenman said:

^ Ha Ha ha ... That's my Picture of my personal  distributor. Please note the above colors in the picture of my Dizzy are set up for a Haltech. With the DIY L28 Trigger wheel they flip the orientation of the slots from Normal. 

On an MS2 with DIY L28 custom Trigger Wheel, the colors would be.

Dizzy side

Red = +12v

Black = Ground ( To sensor ground in MS ECU )

Green =  Cam Trigger ( If you want to use Full sequential Fuel or COP Ignition )

White =  Crank Trigger 

Edit: Also note that the above link ( https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/nissan-datsun/megasquirt-your-280zx-turbo/  ) is OLD information. That article was written long before DIY made their Custom L28 Trigger wheel. The above instructions were written by " MobyTheVan " I believe, and were a work around for L28 Optical dizzy's because the MS1 and MS2 could not decode the Nissan 360 slot wheel accurately. Note that the above instructions only give you a Basic Trigger system. You need the Cam Trigger to run COP or Full sequential. 

Unfortunately the MS sites are full of old outdated articles. You have to be very careful what you are reading. That's what happens when you have a platform that has multiple ways of being built and Software covering Multiple ECU's. 

I used the above for my z with the diy wheel and followed the instructions on Diy.

This is how you and I tuned the car lol!  Sorry if I am giving wrong info

Edited by supershanesta

Not your fault. The text info from DIY is correct. It's just that my picture was for the standard Nissan wiring.... and it's now in Google search!!  Could be misleading... 

If you just want simple Batch fire and a single coil. It will work fine for that. It's just if some people want Waste Spark, COP  Ignition or Sequential  fueling  then they need the other Cam signal. 

Most people don't know about DIY flipping  slot orientation, which also means flipping  the Green and White LED  output  wires on the dizzy side to match the MS ECU inputs.  My picture shows the factory Nissan outputs and colors on the dizzy side, which is what Haltech uses. 

Edited by Chickenman

With the Turbo dizzy and shaft, you do not need either of those parts. The Turbo dizzy bolts directly to the timing cover. Make sure you have the gasket that goes between the dizzy and timing cover. Latest part number from Nissan is 22179-29N00. A new non -Nissan gasket came with my A1-Cardone distributor.

Edited by Chickenman

1 hour ago, Chickenman said:

With the Turbo dizzy and shaft, you do not need either of those parts. The Turbo dizzy bolts directly to the timing cover. Make sure you have the gasket that goes between the dizzy and timing cover. Latest part number from Nissan is 22179-29N00. A new non -Nissan gasket came with my A1-Cardone distributor.

Damnit. Well I do have the gasket at least haha. 

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, gmorrone1214 said:

Hows the MSII installing going? I am about to do the same thing in mine. I have all the parts for a turbo build just need to buy the MSII unit and build and install.

Look up Softopz on the Vendors forum. He builds MS2 units and a beautiful plug and play harness. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I know its been a little while, haven't had a ton of time to work on this project but finally getting back to it. Got the new turbo zx injectors in, all the clips made. I designed and 3d printed a bracket for the 240sx TPS (which I can make available online if anyones interested). I did run into a problem however. I bought the coolant sensor from DIY Autotune, https://www.diyautotune.com/product/gm-closed-element-clt-iat-sensor-with-pigtail/, and it doesnt fit in the thermostat at all. Can I use the original one?

20180330_164459.jpg

20180330_164455.jpg

Yes, you can use the original Nissan Clt sensor.  Since there is no calibration setting for a Nissan CLT sensor in the Tune Studio selections, use the Saab. settings. It is very close to the factory Nissan. Or you can look up the 280ZX sensor values in the factory service manual ( available online at Xenon. com ). But the Saab values are close enough.

I'll definitely share a link to the file once I'm on my other computer tomorrow. Yes its PLA. No its not annealed. Its just in there to hold the sensor right now, the car isn't ready to run enough to heat up let alone run on the street.

That being said, SUPER productive weekend. Got all the wiring in. Getting a usb to serial cable from a coworker tomorrow and should be plugging in tomorrow afternoon (still have to buy the software)! Any words of advice Chickenman?