HybridZ

Exhaust Manifold studs vs bolts?

turbogrill

The factory used a combination of both as Colten noted. On race cars I switched everything out to studs, as we often had the Intake manifolds off and on. Made the install faster, plus less danger of pulling a thread out of the aluminium. Even the thermostat upper housing had studs. This was after a certain Ham fisted friend/crew managed to over tighten and strip the threads out of the lower thermostat housing. Doh!!!

I worked at a Nissan dealership Parts Dept so had plenty of access to  high grade Nissan studs. In fact I always made sure that we had lots of the " special " hardware like half-shaft bolts and nuts.  

It was funny, but the local Metro Vancouver Nissan dealers always had the best supply of high grade fasteners in stock .   A lot of the Parts and Service staff  Road Raced at WestWood.  Most of the shops used Bowman fasteners for their " Standard  Fastener"  shop supply.  I always made sure that the Road salesman always loaded us up on nothing less than the Metric equivalent of Grade 8 or better. 

On 2/7/2018 at 9:59 AM, HuD 91gt said:

Studs are used for the exhaust manifold from the factory.  Unsure what factory used for the upper intake, but I do believe bolts were used.

Hmm....maybe the bolt was so rusted on the stud so I actually got the stud+bolt out. 

On 2/7/2018 at 10:56 AM, Chickenman said:

The factory used a combination of both as Colten noted. On race cars I switched everything out to studs, as we often had the Intake manifolds off and on. Made the install faster, plus less danger of pulling a thread out of the aluminium. Even the thermostat upper housing had studs. This was after a certain Ham fisted friend/crew managed to over tighten and strip the threads out of the lower thermostat housing. Doh!!!

I worked at a Nissan dealership Parts Dept so had plenty of access to  high grade Nissan studs. In fact I always made sure that we had lots of the " special " hardware like half-shaft bolts and nuts.  

It was funny, but the local Metro Vancouver Nissan dealers always had the best supply of high grade fasteners in stock .   A lot of the Parts and Service staff  Road Raced at WestWood.  Most of the shops used Bowman fasteners for their " Standard  Fastener"  shop supply.  I always made sure that the Road salesman always loaded us up on nothing less than the Metric equivalent of Grade 8 or better. 

Lucky you :)

I am looking at getting Pallnet or Datsun Sprit kit, $40-$60 for some fasteners....