HybridZ

Fuel Rail Compatiblity

cannon280z

I have a 1977 280z barn find that came with out a fuel rail, all I can find to replace are 1979-1983 fuel rails, does anyone know if they are compatible or at least easy process to make it fit?They look similar but wary to make the jump. Thanks for your time ansd help!!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forums.

Looks like you posted to the FAQ section. I've moved your post to the engine section and the fuel delivery subforum.

I believe the 280Z's don't have what traditionally looks like a fuel rail. More like a loop of fuel line with barbs going to each injector. Very similar if not the same as those found on the later L28E motors found in 1979-1983. I would say off hand that, that should be fine, although I am not sure if there are manifold changes which may cause mounting differences.

IIRC I'm running a 280z fuel rail on a webbed 280zx intake manifold, so I don't see why the opposite couldn't be done as well. In my case, I have a motor pulled from a 280zx and the rail was cut in the process of removal so I had to scavenge from my original motor to make it work.

They fit just like the 280Z rails except for the cold start valve (CSV) extension.  You can probably bend and/or cut to make it work.  I've had a ZX rail on my 280Z engine but I just cut the CSV stem off (no CSV) and sealed it with a compression fitting.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your input, I purchased one from a member here and it fit just great!! I have now been able to hook up all the hoses and wires and have fuel in the injectors, but no start. It has a new aftermarket pump, which i can hear pumping and i have flow out of the new fuel filter when i pulled the hose and one of the injector hose clamps wasnt tight and it leaked until i tightened it. so i think fuel is there. It is frustrating but not yet discouraging. I have been reading other posts and I think I know what I need to do next. I believe it is spark or timing, I will test it out and let you guys know. If anyone has any ideas let me know. It cranks nicely and when I spray starter fluid it will back fire. So I  think I am close.