HybridZ

Rally Suspension

15 minutes ago, JMortensen said:

I can see how those pedantic details are germane to a discussion about a V8 rally/safari inspired build like the one the OP is building. Oh wait, no I can't.

OP, you want to see something RIDICULOUS? Take a look at the bolt in roll bar that they used in those old works cars. I was ROFL when I saw one for the first time...

Sometimes I wonder if you do the same thing when (if) you walk around vintage race paddocks? And how about museums? Ever visit them, or is it too much for your bladder to cope with?

Ironic that you should mention the sadly missed John Coffey in this thread. He had an open and inquisitive mind about such things, and I discussed the details of Nissan's works rally cars with him over quite a long period. There's always something to be learned from the way things were done in the past, even if it demonstrates how NOT to do something. John made me ROFL with a couple of anecdotes when your name came up in conversation too...           

One nice thing about John was that he'd say those things straight to your face, and since we conversed so often I'm sure I have seen most of them. ;)

You've still derailed the conversation from being about how to take a Z off road into how little Carl Beck knows and how your superior pedantry can solve the problem of how to set up a V8 Z for light duty off roading. 

46 minutes ago, JMortensen said:

You've still derailed the conversation from being about how to take a Z off road into how little Carl Beck knows and how your superior pedantry can solve the problem of how to set up a V8 Z for light duty off roading.

"Derailed the conversation"?

I've provided some real-world references, and can supply more (including what the modern historic rally cars are using) if the OP wants to pursue it. You've supplied a link to zhome... 

You want the usual JMort pissing contest then? I see you've already refined the OP's request to a "V8 Z", when - as far as I understood it at least - this is not set in stone and the word "Safari" was part of it. You can handle the 'V8 Z' part I'm sure, but I think you'll be way out of your depth with the 'Safari', 'factory cars' and 'period cars' parts. Except to tell us all how crap they were, of course.

John Coffey predicted just this. It's a HybridZ trope.

48 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

John Coffey predicted just this. It's a HybridZ trope.

You shouldn't be trying to use John Coffey's reputation to improve yours.  It's just wrong.  He would not be doing what you're doing now.  If he had strong opinions he just stated them without the snide personal comments that you use.

As a moderator he'd probably be shutting you down in this thread.  You're comments are not of John Coffey quality, in any way.  Try to stand on your own, if you can. 

16 minutes ago, NewZed said:

You shouldn't be trying to use John Coffey's reputation to improve yours.  It's just wrong.  He would not be doing what you're doing now.  If he had strong opinions he just stated them without the snide personal comments that you use.

As a moderator he'd probably be shutting you down in this thread.  You're comments are not of John Coffey quality, in any way.  Try to stand on your own, if you can. 

"Snide personal comments" like "...your superior pedantry...", perhaps? Seems to me that it depends who they come from...

It's interesting to see that you're accusing me of citing John Coffey's name to 'improve my reputation'. I'm not sure you actually understand what's going on here.

FACT: Mr Carl Beck - in my experience - knows little to nothing about the factory works rally cars. I see no harm in pointing out that he, and his website zhome, are not a reliable source of hard data about the factory works rally cars and should not be cited as such. 

FACT: JMortensen brought John Coffey's name into this thread, not me.  

FACT: Mr John Coffey sought me out as a source for hard data regarding the factory works rally cars and current historic rally cars. He even offered to pay me as a 'consultant' for some of the projects he was working on, which of course I would not hear of, and I was simply happy to help him in any way that I could. Not only was John interested in what others were doing with historic rally suspension in contemporary use within certain sets of regulations, but also he was open-minded enough to be genuinely interested in what the factory works team were doing in period - within the rules and regulations of the time. John being his own man and a great engineer I'm sure that my input was only a very small part of his research and development, but I think he appreciated it and he was kind enough to thank me for it and tell me that it was of use.  I see that JMortensen has just provided a link to a previous HybridZ thread in which John discusses the Bilstein inverted 'Monotube' dampers, the type which I shared then-current data with him. 

FACT: John Coffey gave me some lighthearted advice regarding JMortensen's HybridZ 'persona' (he gave me some wise advice about mine too, actually...). I see no harm in mentioning it when it is so apposite. I see you are predicting what John would have done in this thread, and with me in particular. I think I'll stick with what he actually said and did in my experience.  

50 minutes ago, NoClassic said:

Do things generally end up like this around here? A bit discouraging for a first time time poster. 

It's just one guy, if you look closely, escalating from a few veiled insults.  He doesn't post much except to protect his perception of the past.  Just ignore.  There's a setting if you want to make it easy.  You can ignore me or anyone else.

Hover your cursor over their name and a new screen will pop up.  Click "ignore" and their posts won't show up when you're signed in.  I used yours for an example.  Good luck with your car.

image.png.09dbe16869ac5933e6f658926f6a19bf.png

1 hour ago, NoClassic said:

Do things generally end up like this around here? A bit discouraging for a first time time poster. 

Don't be too disheartened. This forum has been around a long time and a bit of Darwinian evolution has taken place over the years. Cat vs dog stuff, generally. Despite what you might think, HybridZ has a reputation as a non-nonsense repository of good data.  

If you are interested in a bit more period (and present) data on rally car suspensions, please feel free to PM me with your direct e-mail address and I'll do my best to help.

1 hour ago, NoClassic said:

No, they don't. Please take the information provided in the thread and disregard the rest. If you look you'll see that Alan can be helpful, as in the linked thread about the Bilsteins, when he wants to.

• 4 weeks later...

If I remember correctly John mentioned struts for the Beijing  to Paris 240Z were from either a Camaro or a Corvair using 600lb springs (??). I too had many long distance conversations with him and now wish I had transcripts to rely on.