HybridZ

8.8 IRS questions? Who is happy with what mount?

Richard Oben

Built a LS1 - T 56 1971 240Z and love it.  (build thread on the gen 3, 4 forum)  We already had an 8.8 out of a Lincoln MK VIII (IRS) and we cobbled it together with a home made really rough mount on the rear and a T-3 front mount.

NOT happy with it.  We have everything else in and working, Drive shaft, half shafts, hub adapters, CVs, everything. Drove it 1,300 miles on the HOT ROD power tour. 

Why we don't like it: It is too high, Lincoln cover gets in the way of lower control arm mount, so we can't lower it.  We have a vibration and believe the is the home made mount is not straight enough causing a U joint vibration. T-3 mount is not in line with my mount (not T-3 fault in any way).  Over 75 mph. clutch in or out, engine at speed or idle it vibrates.   

How many people have the Will Fritts' stuff? Are you happy with it?  A Vendor is working on a similar type.

Z Car depot Who has it? Are you happy with it.  

Sunny Z did his own. Did anyone copy it? are you happy with it.  

Explorer rear cover mount? Like Fritts Standard 8.8 rear cover? like Spitnaugle.  SVT rear cover? like Z car Depot. 

Going to buy something really soon and don't want to buy a bunch of stuff twice. The rear cover and mount are totally different on the design of the mounts which is why I am asking.   

Please,  please reply if you HAVE THIS IN A CAR.  I have read a lot of opinions and not a lot of facts.  Thanks for reading and replying in advance. 

Edited by Richard Oben
typos

• 2 weeks later...

So we bought the Z car depot mount.  Fit is tight, but really a nice part.  It did exactly what we needed, moved the center section down and back.  Front mount will be a challenge, NOT an issue with Z car depot, they built for an explorer, we have MK8, and they built for series 2 and later cars, we have a series one.  Thanks for looking.  Richard. 

I will probably follow up on my post in the LS forum FYI.  

I will take some pics later that show the mount. 

To answer your question the diff is not anywhere near as low as the exhaust. Shouldn't be an issue.    

Working on front mounts today.  Richard.