HybridZ

280z stock gauges mod for LS swap - Arduino controlled

So im nearing completion of my ls swap and started looking into gauges.  Found that there aren't a lot of options and whats out there is expensive.  So I'm making the stock gauges work by gutting them and modifying them heavily to work with the ls stuff.  As far as cost goes, this should only cost me like 50 bucks for the gauges themselves, the senders I'm leaving out of that number.

Here is a simple overview.  The speedometer, oil pressure, coolant temp, and fuel level will all be driven by an arduino controlling 4 separate servo motors.  If you don't know what an arduino is, google it.  The way this works is, I will install a servo motor behind each gauge face.  The servo is controlled by the arduino, which receives inputs from the senders or my ECU (in this case I am using Fitech for the tach and speedo, the rest are separate senders).

Most aftermarket senders operate on a 5V reference, usually 0.5V being 0 and 4.5V being max (aka 100psi or 250F...whatever).  An arduino can take these inputs and then control the servo motors to move to a position that represents these values on the gauge.

I haven't finished the setup, but here are some videos to show the motors moving through their range.  For now, the servos im using only move 180 degrees, so the speedo will only go to 110 mph, but who even looks at the speedo after 100mph anyway.

This is literally just me holding the servo behind the gauge face for now....and yes, that is a pink zip tie with pink heat shrink acting as my gauge needle....super classy haha.

Speedo

Fuel level

Edited by MECH-E

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...