HybridZ

Transmission options for 300hp

MerloZ

Hey i was wondering what are my transmission options for my l28et swapped 260z. I have the stock 4 speed with a brand new south bend stage 2 feramic and organic 400 ft ib clutch. 

So i am looking for the best route on which transmission to choose. 

Source parts from a 280zxt or 300zxt with their borg warners.

Or Other nissan transmissions with the same clutch spline..

Or possibly if its not too hard modifying another transmission to make it all work like it should. 

Or is it possible to get stronger internals for my stock 4 speed.

Stock r200 i forget what ratio.

Also i want to keep my factory speedo working normal.

Sounds like my only option is the t5 from the 82 and 83 280zxt right??

I really dont need another gear i would just prefer to not have to drive home without a gear from autocross this upcoming summer once my car has more power im hoping for around 300hp and 350tq in the future. I dont drop the clutch higher than 4k but on the stock tranny and a new strong clutch i know it isnt going to last long.

thankyou

It depends on how much you have to spend.  The T5 is only rated to 265 lb-ft, although I believe there have been a lot of people have it hold more. 

The common options that I know of are 

T5

FS5W71C (aka KA transmission swap, also found in Non-Turbo Z31) ( http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/240sxtransmissioninstall/index.html )

Z32 Transmission + http://hokeperformance.squarespace.com/store/300zx-l28-transmission-adapter

CD009 (Z33 Transmission) + http://hokeperformance.squarespace.com/store/l-series-6spd-transmission-adapter-03-06-vq35de

T56 ( 

As for the stock speedometer, I'm not sure which of these had speedo cables originally, but there are adapters now that will drive your speedometer from an electrical signal if you decide to go with a transmission that can't directly drive your speedometer.  )

Thanks for the replys i think a t5 will be good enough if i can source the tranny and driveshaft.. however which of those above listed trannys have different splines or are they the same ik up to z31 300zx was the same but i dont know about the rest

Take this with a grain of salt, since the engine was different. I had put a tremendous amount of miles through a FS5W71C with a 320hp SR20. Now when I switched from a GT28R to a GT3076R and put down 531hp I blew up three FS5W71C in 4 months.

Edited by Geno750

On 2/25/2018 at 2:37 PM, Geno750 said:

Take this with a grain of salt, since the engine was different. I had put a tremendous amount of miles through a FS5W71C with a 320hp SR20. Now when I switched from a GT28R to a GT3076R and put down 531hp I blew up three FS5W71C in 4 months.

Yep - The stock 5-speed in my Z didn't start having problems until I was well past 400hp.  At 300hp a well-sorted stock 5-speed should be fine. 

The T56 Magnum mentioned above was for _much_ higher power and torque levels.

Edited by TimZ