HybridZ

Gauge Guidance Needed! 260z w/ 350/th350

Hello all!

I just purchased a 260z with a 350 motor. The car currently has aftermarket tach and coolant temp gauges. The fuel gauge works, and the speedo is about 20mph fast (due to the th350 trans). 

I'm trying to get the rest of the gauges working, but don't have any clue where to start. I've searched around a bit, but my usual google-fu is coming up empty!

I'd really like to get the factory gauges working, but would be OK with replacing the gauges, given they fit in the dash. Is there a way for me to accomplish this? If anyone knows of any guides or resources to help me tackle this, I'd be beyond appreciative! Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if any additional info is needed here, so please let me know and I'll get any information I can!

I dug around a bit more, and found that Autometer gauges will work for me. Seems that others have found success in using the JTR Datsun V8 Swap Manual with the OEM Gauges. I'll be looking to see if I can find a copy at a library or something, if not I may purchase the book!

14 minutes ago, Miles said:

Many many many "how to" posts on gauges on HybridZ and Classiczcars.com.  Search "gauges"  or "autometer"  or "Speedhut".  There are complete write-ups on Hybridz and on the web.

Miles, you're absolutely right, I know I'm missing info! This is my first project, so I'm a tad bit overwhelmed. I'm hoping to find a way to make the stock gauges work, but the Speedhut gauges seem like a great alternative. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the JTR book would answer most, if not all, your questions.  For example, it explains how to rewire your factory tach to be compatible with the V8.

JTR also sells an adapter that allows you to install the temp gauge sensor into the SBC intake manifold.  Check out their website  for all the parts they offer.

You can get a speedo cable reducer to correct your speedo readings.  PATC carries a large selection of adapters.

Voltmeter and fuel gauges:  self-explanatory.

On 3/24/2018 at 9:38 PM, jhm said:

Yes, the JTR book would answer most, if not all, your questions.  For example, it explains how to rewire your factory tach to be compatible with the V8.

JTR also sells an adapter that allows you to install the temp gauge sensor into the SBC intake manifold.  Check out their website  for all the parts they offer.

You can get a speedo cable reducer to correct your speedo readings.  PATC carries a large selection of adapters.

Voltmeter and fuel gauges:  self-explanatory.

Thanks. I'm definitely gonna pick up the JTR book, it sounds like it'll be extremely helpful.

I've been using the stock gauges with my V8 swap for several years, and they work fine, if you don't feel like springing for new aftermarket gauges.  I've replaced the stock gauge bulbs with LED, which are brighter and draw less amperage.  You can also switch your gauges to a white face with red needles for better visibility with a kit like this:  https://www.datsun-garage.com/shop/parts/white-gauge-face-kit-1970-78-240z-260z-280z/.

Edited by jhm

14 minutes ago, jhm said:

I've been using the stock gauges with my V8 swap for several years, and they work fine, if you don't feel like springing for new aftermarket gauges.  I've replaced the stock gauge bulbs with LED, which are brighter and draw less amperage.  You can also switch your gauges to a white face with red needles for better visibility with a kit like this:  https://www.datsun-garage.com/shop/parts/white-gauge-face-kit-1970-78-240z-260z-280z/.

Yeah, the LED bulbs is a great call. I'm looking forward to getting this working, I may spring for gauges at some point, but I have some more pressing places to spend money on the car right now :-) Thanks for all the input, I really really appreciate it.

Edited by nolant178

• 1 month later...

So I've recently swapped my diff to a 3.7 r200 - I wound up buying a 24 tooth driven gear for my trans - it is CLOSER, 45 reads 50, 63 reads 80... ultimately i'll be using a speedhut gps speedo.

I did buy the JTR book and it covers many of the other gauges, so I'll be working on that and will post updates!