HybridZ

After alot of work car not starting

Background is a 72 race car I have been working on since last Fall.  Ran fine then.

Over the winter had replaced the oil pump and when it come out the long shaft did also.  Put the new pump on and did not align the long shaft correctly.  Went on to have the SU's rebuilt and reinstalled.  At that point I pulled the valve cover off, aligned #1 cylinder to TDC, pulled the oil pump off and reinstalled it correctly.  The top of the shaft is in the correct position according to the picture in the Haynes manual.  Dizzy rotor points to the #1 cylinder plug wire.  Installed everything back together and made no adjustment to the dizzy.  Dizzy has a Petroniz Ignitor and I have both gas and spark.  Turns over and seems to want to start but won't.  Am I overlooking anything?

Did you try moving / adjusting dizzy to different positions while starting ? Maybe timing is pretty far off . Lining up the oil pump has to been done accurately . That 11:25 o’clock position can be tricky to eyeball and it wouldn’t take much to be a tooth off. 

Double and triple check firing order. 

Whats it doing when you try and start ? Spitting , coughing , nothing ? Try squirting starter fluid in while cranking ?

I had an issue like this after I rebuilt my engine. As silly as it seems, the distributor wasn’t fully seated down onto the shaft. It was probably 1/8” out. Pulled my hair out for days before I removed the distributor and reinstalled and noticed it was bolting together a little nicer.

Something to check at least.

On 3/30/2018 at 12:05 PM, M_Motorsports said:

The top of the shaft is in the correct position according to the picture in the Haynes manual.  Dizzy rotor points to the #1 cylinder plug wire. 

The chain almost never skips a tooth.  I think that that idea is from the days of the Model T or somewhere back there, used to explain things not understood.

The Haynes manuals are known to be poor for the L series engines.  Use the Nissan FSM, which is free almost anywhere you look on the internet.  Seems like you didn't get the gear aligned right.  Posted a picture, note that one half moon is smaller than the other.  The small one goes forward.

Also, I have found that if you put the wires on in reverse rotation order the engine will still start but run very poorly.  Odd but true.

image.png.ebc3df66830a003206c87a7a44615518.png