HybridZ

Stiffer drop mounts and moustache bar

So this may be a stupid question, but I am sort of worried about changing things at my rear end too much because I actually have really good traction with how my setup currently is, much better traction than it seems most other people with S30's are getting. 

A lot of other modified Z's are running upgraded moustache bars and drop mounts but don't seem to have good traction so I am just wondering if it was possible that having some flex in the system could actually improve traction and if changing my stock ones for T3 might not be a good idea.

So am I being crazy?

dmdb1_lgsmall.jpg?itok=I1wM3Vts

s30mb2.jpg?itok=BRVLcyk7

I was thinking that the slight flex in the system takes some of the shock out and prevents the wheels from breaking free as easily as they would if everything was solid.

Hence me thinking my planned upgrades might not be an upgrade.

Still considering the T3 drop mounts though as they would allow me to run a finned cover so I don't fry my OS Giken CLSD.

2 hours ago, EF Ian said:

I was thinking that the slight flex in the system takes some of the shock out and prevents the wheels from breaking free as easily as they would if everything was solid.

Hence me thinking my planned upgrades might not be an upgrade.

Still considering the T3 drop mounts though as they would allow me to run a finned cover so I don't fry my OS Giken CLSD.

Big picture, engineering-wise, if you do find that you lose traction because you've stiffened the chassis, you could just change your shock damping to get it back.

What you're suggesting seems more like urban voodoo racer magic though.  Besides that, you're really only stiffening for side to side loads.  Cornering loads.  So, if you're not talking about launching out of a corner it wouldn't seem to matter much.  Straight line launching is more through the struts.

Burleigh used to make a new solid "dog bone" for the finned covers.  Looks like he hasn't been on the site for about a year though - 

The stiffer everything is, the more vibrations are transferred to the frame. In some cases, weaker parts of the frame were not ment to handle the stress (solid dif mount, tc rods) and can do more harm than good. Might not hurt with the rear though... lots of people run them.