HybridZ
KF_Colt

EFI: getting the injectors to work

I just put a GT35R into my 1981 280zx N/A. I'm looking to go with a safe amount of boost (~9-10 psi), and have an external wastegate, BOV, Pop-off Valve, and manual boost controller all set. 

What I dont have is a Megasquirt to adjust for boost levels and adjust based on what the AFM reads. It also turns out that 3 of my 300zx injectors crapped out on me (got them from a scrapyard). 

Do y'all know what kind of injectors would fit the L28E that range from 275 to 310 cc/min (preferably a cheap route), and how to make them disperse more or less fuel with only the stock ECU? If there isn't a way to do that, just tell me.

I'm not looking for too much of a power gain here, something around 195 HP would be good. Any advice helps, thanks. 

Posted (edited)

Soooo you put a turbo that's intended for 500+ rwhp onto a non-turbo L28 with the stock computer and want to get 195hp.  Did I read that right?

No, there isn't a way to do that - or at least not one that I want my name attached to.

Edited by TimZ

On 4/8/2018 at 1:31 AM, TimZ said:

Soooo you put a turbo that's intended for 500+ rwhp onto a non-turbo L28 with the stock computer and want to get 195hp.  Did I read that right?

No, there isn't a way to do that - or at least not one that I want my name attached to.

What I was thinking!

Your working back wards, start with the EFI and go from there ! You can make decent power with a stock t3 and a NA to T l28 with a decent EFI system. 

• Like 1

Agreed on the stock computer.

May not be the cheapest way if you didn't have access to the tools and an old fuel rail, but here is what I did. I had an old 7m toyota supra fuel rail kicking around, and noticed the outside two holes lined up with the l28 manifold. The supra injectors also fit the l28 orings on the manifold side.

I welded the other 4 holes shut, re-drilled them for the L manifold, and added a couple mounting tabs. I'm running RC550s (for a Supra) on an ECUMaster EMU. It's still in 'base tuning' stage, but no leaks, at least from the fuel rail :unsure:. Again, probably not practical if you had to buy the rail and pay someone to make all the modifications to it, but think outside the box and you'd be surprised what you can make work.

image-20180306_192528.jpg

3 hours ago, outrider said:

Agreed on the stock computer.

May not be the cheapest way if you didn't have access to the tools and an old fuel rail, but here is what I did. I had an old 7m toyota supra fuel rail kicking around, and noticed the outside two holes lined up with the l28 manifold. The supra injectors also fit the l28 orings on the manifold side.

I welded the other 4 holes shut, re-drilled them for the L manifold, and added a couple mounting tabs. I'm running RC550s (for a Supra) on an ECUMaster EMU. It's still in 'base tuning' stage, but no leaks, at least from the fuel rail :unsure:. Again, probably not practical if you had to buy the rail and pay someone to make all the modifications to it, but think outside the box and you'd be surprised what you can make work.

image-20180306_192528.jpg

Wow thats dedication. Will the end fittins be in the way of injectors 1 6 it seems cloose. You do realize empty stock of extruded fuel rail is like $8 a ft 

http://www.rossmachineracing.com/dash8.html

Posted (edited)

It fits fine. I have 90 degree -8 ends on my lines, they kick towards the back of the car.

Other than having a garage full of Supra parts that are hardly worth the hassle of trying to sell (or weight in scrap), the longer version of why I did that is my argon tank was so low that the needle barely registered on the gauge, and I had plans of welding a bunch of 3" stainless that weekend. Not wanting to give Purity Cylinder free gas, I decided to see if I could make that rail work.

After some cleanup it looks fine, and the only issue I had is one of the holes wasn't deburred well enough, and tore an o-ring installing the injectors.

Edited by outrider
Spelling