HybridZ

Ssworx

walkerbk

Drawing closer to starting body work and paint, I'm looking into fender flares in order to put more meat on the ground while not looking like a bag of ***.

I do not want to use fiberglass or carbon based off of fitment issues and I would like to have an all metal body free of cracks.

Looking online, I see there is a company I haven't seen before Ssworx who is making metal fender flares. Although I am not sold on the look of the 280z flares, but if they fit the body well, I could be happy. I also looked at some of their other flares that look like they could be manipulated to fit very well like the 65-68 mustang kit  http://ssworxs.com/shop/ssworx-parts-and-accessories/ssworxs-metal-fender-flares/ford-mustang-aggressive-fender-flare-kit/ which can be bought in 18 gauge.

My question comes down to this, has anyone used them? What are talks thoughts?

The ones ment for the datsun look like they are made from tin foil which is why i looked at some other ones and figured the mustang ones might be made to fit. Maybe it's worth a email to them to get the metal thickness.

another issue I have is how simple they look to make. It literally only looks like they cut a piece of sheet metal and folded it over the wheel well. I'll most likely make my own if I don't find something different.

Have you thought about just cutting your stock fender flare and leaving it connected at the bottom and extending it "x" amount of inches with filler sheet metal? Something like this,

Below is the full email I received.

Hi Bryan they are VERY sturdy  Cut from 20Gauge Cold Steel Seam-Less Sheet  roll.

When installed and welded they are very sturdy we hundreded of Metal flares sold we have had a zero complain on the thickness However we can step the size up for an additional cost to a 18Gauge .

I don't rely count 20 gauge as being sturdy but 18 gauge would I believe with a nice roll in it.

I also don't believe they do any form work to them... they ship them flat and you have to form them which would result in poor quality... this however is only a guess.

I have a set going on a 240Z.  The rears are tacked on and I'm working on the front now.  They are plenty stout, and laser cut, so each set has the same shape.  They do ship flat, but forming them is simple.  The rear flares I left at full width and they line up well with my 315 tires.  Up front I have 275's, so I used metal shears and took 1 1/4" off the top radius. 

Resized_20180324_175542.thumb.jpeg.47aa300be272fbc70a681d63779431a3.jpeg

They did mistakenly ship me 350Z flares the first time, so I have those collecting dust if you're interested in them.

Edited by NC88

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Those look better than the other add on flares I've seen. Not as traditional but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Does the lip roll over or just metal edge on the outer? How does that stagger work in handling? I'm starting to worry I may have too much and the car will push in the front. Planning a little narrower than you list here but similar 40mm difference. 

The more i see them the more I like the look. I to would like to know how you finished the edge. I have heard of people welding a very small pipe on the outer edge to finish custom flairs but would like to see what you have planned.

Also, how are you tying it into the airdam.

• 1 month later...

I have the standard xenon airdam, I plan to cut the fender horizontally at the top of airdam, then make a small bracket on the backside of the now 2-piece front fender to align the two pieces and still be able to drop the airdam without much fuss.  Open to recommendations/advice though.  My Z is a pure streetable race build, so I'm not going for show quality. 

• 1 month later...