HybridZ
Sandy455

123 Ignition distributor?

Just wondering if anyone's used the new 123igntion distributor on an L24?  I'm running triple Weber 40s with an E88 head.  Timing's always been a bit of an issue.  Seems like a digital device I could tune via blue tooth on an iPhone app would be a game-changer.  Thanks for your input.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NewZed said:

Quite a few people on classiczcars.com are using it.  Not to send a Hybridz member away but that's where the 123 action is.

Interesting.  Why is that?  People here don't like the system?  Seems like there'd be more people here running Webers and Mikunis who could use the additional tuning information the 123 system delivers. But thanks for the info.  I posted an inquiry on classiczcars.com too. 

Edited by Sandy455

I feel like people would consider megasquirt at that price point. MS2 pre-built from DIY is like $450 or something. You can build it yourself for under $300 if I remember and it will do more than an ignition system could do on its own. If I was set on running carbs I would get like a megajolt type setup and run EDIS or something and have a system under $250.

If you are more of a purist though and want to keep things looking stock while getting a bit of an edge with controllable timing you might consider this over other options. The fine gents over there seem to be more of that category, preserve and improve. 

Posted (edited)

I've got one. Love it for the tuneability along with retaining old-school looks. My previous Z had Webers + Megajolt which is objectively a better system but I wanted to keep this one period-looking.

Edited by Leon
added link

4 minutes ago, Leon said:

I've got one. Love it for the tuneability along with retaining old-school looks. My previous Z had Webers + Megajolt which is objectively a better system but I wanted to keep this one period-looking.

A few people have suggested the Megajolt as a lower cost alternative.  I like the look and overall convenience of the 123.  Please tell me what you see as the big pluses the Megajolt has over the 123 besides the lower cost.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Sandy455 said:

A few people have suggested the Megajolt as a lower cost alternative.  I like the look and overall convenience of the 123.  Please tell me what you see as the big pluses the Megajolt has over the 123 besides the lower cost.  Thanks!

The MJ is crank-triggered thus more accurate. It also uses a coil pack which enables higher RPM coil stability. There is a larger tuning window with MJ as it gives you a 3D map whereas the 123 only let's you program in individual 2D mechanical advance and vacuum advance curves. That's my biggest gripe with the 123, they should just give you a map instead of dumbing down their tech.

With that said, the 123 looks the part and I don't have to mount the extra bits that you would with the MJ.