HybridZ

Another clunk post - ugh

madkaw

2006 STI diff 3:90 gears - clutch type

custom made aluminum DS 

FUTOFAB CV axles

new front diff mount

RT upper GM style mount

It seems to be excessive drivetrain slop causing a clunk based on how the clutch is released. The excess can be seen and felt by hand when rotating DS by hand while in gear. It seems the slop causes the driveline to clunk when engaging torque . Easily duplicated when cruising at low speeds and engaging clutch in a higher gear (4th).

I have had someone duplicate this in the garage with front wheels chocked as they let out clutch rapidly  in 2 gear and I have watched for any movement - I see none. 

Harmless slop or diff worn out ? The only other noise I get from the diff is a bit of a chatter when pulling into my garage ( uphill ) at slow speed. 

I can hammer the gears in WOT and hear nothing . 

Welcome to the club. It's slop in the CV internal splines. Apparently this is designed slop for off road or some such. There have been threads somewhere complaining bitterly about this. Drive shaft shop and others have better no-slop CV solutions

Anybody want my sloppy seconds? I went back to U-joints....

Z240... is that you Jim? 

Edit: Why yes it is. Still going to Knox? Bring a Tanker with some cheap Alberta fuel. You could make a killing. Frackin' stoopid NDP!!! $1.58.9 a liter for regular and still going up. $1.71.9 for 91 Octane. That's $6.88 per US Gallon for our USA friends. End Rant. Back on Topic. 

Edited by Chickenman

Yes, SIr Richard, 'tis I.

Hmmmm, if I rent a U-haul, fill all my rain barrels with premium to sell at the hill, I could probably pay for my hotels.

I don't need a lid on those barrels, do I?

Edited by z240

Stev. Too bad The510realm is still down. The thread there on CV Conversion problems is excellent. Hopefully the site is back soon. I'll PM you with the consensus of the group. 

Jim... I was going to Knox.  Not sure now. Hotels should be dirt cheap. Because the Highways in BC will be empty. No one can afford to drive to Vacation spots in BC anymore. 

I think it's likely that the problem is sloppy CVs or splines on the CV shafts, but that said, there are quite a few other causes of diff clunking. I wouldn't count out every other possibility without at least checking the CVs for slop. If there isn't any, then maybe this post will help:

Checked out the CV’s . For sure there’s probably 5 degrees of slop in the CV just like others said on the 510 site. 

These issues are hard to compare with others because describing noises doesn’t cut it. For me - the sound is more of a thud then a clunk. There’s no metallic sound . You can feel ,as well as hear the noise in the chassis. If there’s something moving like the diff in the moustache bar I can’t see it while under the car . 

I do drive my car very hard and slam gears , so it’s possible something is loose or the CV’s are getting more play .

Next I will remove nuts from the diff /moustache bar and see if the hole are in good shape. I will check torque before hand.

Also going to check gland nuts on struts .

Moustache mounting points. 

Also will confirm that the grease is seeping out off the boots . Like a mist of grease covering the adapters and boots. I do run the straws in the boots for them to breathe .