HybridZ

Sorry if this info is easy to find, I did a search and I know I have seen lists of "tools you'll need" before in DIYs and Walkthroughs but could not find one for this specific procedure. I'm going to Pull-A-Part tomorrow to pull an L28ET and I'd like to bring everything I need.

So, what ALL tools will I likely need to easily and successfully pull a motor at Pull-A-Part?

Thanks for any suggestions or if you have a link to this info somewhere. Even a DIY or Walkthrough for pulling an S30 motor or doing a motor swap. Hopefully I can do it in one trip without kicking myself for something I forgot.

I did find some info on another thread on zcar.com with this list of tools:

- 10/12/14mm socket
- 10/12/14mm open and boxed wrench
- ratchet and extensions (short and real long one)
- box cutter
- pry bar
- flat and phillip screw driver

So is there anything else? Seems like a 15mm and 17mm would be necessary too.

Hacksaw for exhaust pipes, various tubes, wires, etc.  Good cutters for cables and wires.  Vise-grips for those hard to reach and rounded off parts.  A small sledge.  Multiples of those wrenches and sockets.  In case you lose one.  It's a wrecking yard, don't worry too much about damaging things.  We all hate finding those smashed up parts from the guys that got their first but odds are what you damage isn't going to be bought anyway.

Pull the whole engine and transmission as a unit.  Take it apart afterward.  Leave the flywheel and clutch parts attached to the engine, only remove them if they try to charge you extra for them.

Try to run through the process in your head and you'll probably think of a few more things.

Thanks!

I've packed pretty much all my hand tools with doubles of most everything. Toolbox weighs at least 40lbs. Then I've got my Stanley tool set too. Didn't think about a hacksaw - I''ll grab one of those too. I don't have a small sledge, but I packed a hammer, rubber mallet and piece of wood, hopefully that will do.

It's an auto transmission and I was really hoping just to pull the motor. Any suggestions on that?

It's just easier to get to the transmission bolts when it's out.  The wrecking yards around my area all have very nice tall lifting derricks on wheels so it's easy to get the parts out as a unit.

Might be easier to do just the engine.  Play it by ear.  Lift it halfway then remove the trans bolts.  Attach the hoist before removing the last few bolts.

Your biggest concern is all of that weight hanging.  Just remembered also - make sure that you have the chain or cable to attach to the lift points on the engine, to attach their hoist to.  Don't assume that they'll have what you need.  

Thanks for the help everyone. The operation was a success. If I think of it I'll try to compile a list of what tools I actually used. That would probably be pretty good to add to the first post here.

To be honest, the basic 10, 12, 13 and 14 mm were the big ones. I used a 17mm deep well on the exhaust. but it didn't come loose.
Used a pry bar quite a bit and a big adjustable wrench for AC lines and oil cooler.
I did have an impact gun and that was really nice to zip some of the bolts out quickly. Hacksaw would have been good if I had more than 1 blade. Ended up using a sawzall.
Of course, Philips and Flat screw drivers, a good knife and a hammer.

I started at about 9:15am and got it done at about 2:30pm - with about an hour in there of mostly waiting for my buddy to show up with a sawzall and his pickup truck. That darn exhaust would not come off. I had brought a hacksaw, but only had one blade, and it wasn't about to make it through.

3069676974007509906.thumb.jpg.9b90531efa8fce42a432fcc8c7a5fc4c.jpg

4535885214556484944.thumb.jpg.fbf7d620edb44209991a76425a724c65.jpg

769198446145811325.thumb.jpg.4c5a10dcd6321d49e8d646d242fd5141.jpg

158311480066334235.thumb.jpg.8934765a43c913dcb30fe3ed855772d2.jpg

Edited by boardkid280z
add info