HybridZ

Sequencing Issues.

ihavearustedz

Hey guys, Im having a whole lot of trouble trying to get the sequence correct on my L28. 

Ive successfully confused myself to the point where all the numbers mesh together.

I think the reason for my confusion is the how the channels are wired up.

CoilPacks are wired in Firing Order. eg. coil 1 - cyl 1 , coil 2 -cyl 5, coil 3-cyl 3, coil4 - cyl 6, etc.

Injectors are wired in Cylinder Order eg. Inj 1 - Cyl 1, Inj 2 - Cy l2, Inj 3 - Cyl 3, Inj 4 - Cyl 4, etc.

Currently I have my sequence as follows.

Ignition 1 Pulse Offset : 3

Ignition 2 Pulse Offset : 4 

Ignition 3 Pulse Offset : 5

Ignition 4 Pulse Offset : 0

Ignition 5 Pulse Offset : 1

Ignition 6 Pulse Offset : 2

Injector 1 Pulse Offset :5

Injector 2 Pulse Offset :1

Injector 3 Pulse Offset :3

Injector 4 Pulse Offset :0

Injector 5 Pulse Offset :4

Injector 6 Pulse Offset :2

I followed Wolf's installation Instructions to determine that sequence

The following quote is directly from V550 Install manual :

"Finding the “0” point can be very easy to find...The “0” point is the first tooth the Wolf ECU uses as an event. This may not always be on cylinder 1. It can vary depending on manufacture and modifications made to the engine.
Now turn on Ignition 1 to have an Offset to “0”. Hit “enter”. Set the skips to required amount. In our example we are using 6 + 1, so there are 6 events so the skips will be 5.

Now turn the ignition key off/on to reset the Wolf ECU. Try to crank the engine. If it has not tried to fire on cylinder 1 in the first few cranks, stop cranking. Change the offset to “1”. Turn the Ignition off/on and retry to start. See if it tries to fire on cylinder 1. If this does not fire, repeat previous steps changing the Offset every time until correct one is found."
---------------------

On my application I found  that the number "3" is what worked for my cylinder 1 pulse offset. 

Now this is where it gets me really confused. In MY head that translates to Cylinder 4.  [Wolf sees the events as (0,1,2,3,4,5)] So...Cylinder 4 would be my '0'. Am I correct here?

Then to add to the complexity (maybe im just over thinking) Wolf then says :

if the injectors and ignition have been wired in cylinder order this means Injector 1 goes to cylnder 1,2 to 2 and so on...you would have a sequencing that looks like 

clyinder   injection offset     ignition offset

1                           0                         3

2                           4                         1

3                           2                         5

4                           2                         2

5                           1                         4

6                           3                         0

Just to restate the confusion : I have the coilpacks wired up in firing order & injectors in cylinder order.

With the current configured sequence , as im cranking it catches for a milli second, engine races a little but never starts.

Any help would be much appreciated.  

image.png.b4e6bb4f011d892b086116c2daf19059.png

TriggerSequence.jpg

DSC_0074.JPG

DSC_0075.JPG

I think you're over thinking it.  I have my injectors set up the same as you: coil/injector 1 on cylinder 1, coil/injector 2 on cylinder 2, etc.  Since the firing order of the L6 is 1-5-3-6-2-4 and Wolf starts with counting with 0 instead of 1, your offsets should be 0-4-2-5-1-3.  You are correct that the ignition pulse skip should be 5 since you have a 6 event trigger wheel. Sequential injection is set up exactly the same way.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Ross.  I  should try to clarify.

My Injection is setup  1 to 1, 2 to 2 , 3 to 3 etc..

BUT

my Ignition is setup in firing order Coil 1 to Cyl 1. Coil 2 to Cylinder 5.

If im understanding it correct, my ign should be setup as 0,1,2,3,4,5 & my INJ would look like 0,4,2,5,1,3 

but that wont work cause my '0' point is on cylinder 4. So im coming up with a sequence that looks more like 3,4,5,0,1,2 for IGN

and 5,1,3, 0, 2,4

^^^ those numbers to me seem to be correct....but wolf then goes to say that you would fire the injectors opposite of the coils...so that would look something like 

Sorry if this doesnt make any sense, im thinking out loud.

" The “0” point is the first tooth the Wolf ECU uses as an event. This may not always be on cylinder 1. It can vary depending on manufacture and modifications made to the engine. "

Thats directly out the manual.

I'm going to play around with it again this weekend ill update with my results.

That's what I thought.  I guess I could have read your original post more carefully!  I didn't go by the v500 manual - there is a simple (at least to me) how-to set up in this forum that I followed. 

Seems like the manual is telling you to find "0," like it's an unknown setup.  I just set it on cylinder 1 since that is the first ignition timing event and it keeps things simple.  That said, it all depends on your "Engine RER/SYNC Setup" and "Trigger REF" setup. I may be able to help more if you post screenshots of those.

Edit:  I just realized you're using v550 not v500.  As you probably noticed, this forum is not active and I don't know if there are any other active people here using either v500 or v550.

Edited by rossman

Years ago, you & the forum helped me get this setup initially & I really appreciate your willingness to help again. Since then I decided to rebuild the motor & add a new cam. Its been so long that I had to make any changes to the configuration that i just cant make sense of it hahaha. 

I also want to confirm that im using V500 not a v550 even though am following the instructions per the v550 manual. The v550 follows the same wiring diagrams as the v500 , so I am assuming that the initial setup's would be identical. 

Ive never had success with my '0' point on cylinder 1. Looking back at my known good map, my  '0' is still on cylinder 4 . This was always odd to me, but it worked and I never questioned it...(Ive tried plugging in the old settings into the new motor, no dice) 

Ive confirmed TDC and when i "ign lock" it in the software I can confirm everything matches up via the timing light.

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0068.JPG

DSC_0069.JPG

It looks like your setup is good - pretty much the same as mine. Since your coils are wired to the Wolf channels in the correct firing order, I don't think it matters where your 0 is as long as you sequence each channel in numerical order and "0" (#4 in this case) is at TDC on the compression stroke when the coil fires immediately after SYNC.  If that is the case then it seems that the firing order of 3,4,5,0,1,2 would work.