HybridZ

Distributor wire frayed

Good morning guys, I was in the process of changing my ignition coil, when I noticed one of the wires leading to the distributor was cut. In addition one of the ring connectors on the resistor ballast in a rubber cover also broke (blue wire).  The car would run before but now it won't start, so I'm blaming these two issues. Would I be able to splice the wires back together or should I be in search for new wires? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20180509_074634.jpg

17 minutes ago, NewZed said:

You can splice them.  I'd use a butt connector and shrink tubing myself, but many people like soldering.

The engine won't start because the blue wire is the signal to the EFI computer.

Is the cylinder necessary? Can I bypass that also? 

Thank you for replying so quickly

47 minutes ago, NewZed said:

Why not just fix it?  It's a capacitor for reducing electrical noise.  It has a purpose.

I didn't know the name of the component, thank you for the info. I'll look into repairing it. 

Would that be the exact name? 

Edited by Black_label

Typically, it's known for suppressing radio interference, buzzing, so it's not really necessary.  I've used them to make my tach work right though.  Electrical noise can cause problems.

Looks like any alternator condenser would work.  You can get them at the local auto parts store.  Not a huge deal though.  There are two #23's.  One at the alternator and one at the coil.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/electrical/radio-stereo-clock/from-aug-76/23

• Like 1

The wires broke off on mine, so I ended up using one similar to this (I think it's supposed to be for an F100 or something) https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHIH200

Basically any large-ish capacitor will work. It's not expressly necessary for the car to function, but as mentioned it helps to clean up electrical noise and reduces interference in the tach and radio.