HybridZ

Anybody Know Anything About This Z-Car Design Drawing?

It is quite a departure from the more traditional lines of a 240 – 280Z while still retaining much that is good about the design of the original car. The Pandem/Rocket Bunny look doesn't do much for me, This, on the other hand, is right on the money as far as I am concerned. The front end is depicted as one piece. I am trying to imagine how it could be made with a separate hood that actually pivots on a hinge like the stock hood. I am also terribly curious to see what the designer has in mind for the back end. If anybody knows more or has some considered opinion I'd like to hear about it. 

280zx-GTR-1.png

1 hour ago, trackzpeed said:

Carbon signal 

Thanks for pointing that out. A Google image search hadn't produced anything. Unfortunately the parts they're making it Carbon Signal aren't nearly as cool as the concept drawing. It Looks like I will have to make my own.

On 5/12/2018 at 1:24 AM, trackzpeed said:
2 minutes ago, Zetsaz said:

They have two others that are more common, one with a blunt nose, and one with a G nose style front 

Always had a soft spot for a good g-nose.

240_gnose1.jpg

I think the proportions of this concept better suit a 280zx (s130). The car seems a little bit wider than an s30 could ever be relative to the other dimensions. I really like the car depicted though. The s130 is about 500 lbs heavier than the s30. I wonder how much of that weight would be easily gotten rid of.

280zx-GTR-1.png

Edited by wrenchtech

17 minutes ago, Zetsaz said:

They have two others that are more common, one with a blunt nose, and one with a G nose style front 

I responded to your post above, but the quote got messed up so I don't know if you were notified. I have been away from this forum for years and am not familiar the software that they are using now.

1 hour ago, wrenchtech said:

I responded to your post above, but the quote got messed up so I don't know if you were notified. I have been away from this forum for years and am not familiar the software that they are using now.

I got it. If you quote any part of anyone's post they'll receive a notification. You can also tag now like this @wrenchtech

14 hours ago, wrenchtech said:

I think the proportions of this concept better suit a 280zx (s130). The car seems a little bit wider than an s30 could ever be relative to the other dimensions. I really like the car depicted though. The s130 is about 500 lbs heavier than the s30. I wonder how much of that weight would be easily gotten rid of.

280zx-GTR-1.png

The headlight surrounds are very 280zx-like as well. I also like the wheel flares better than the current Carbon Signal stuff. They seem to blend in with the rest of the car better and look less like add-ons. I like the fact that the top section doesn't have screw pockets and looks molded in. I also like how the leading edge of the black section at the front of the flare is almost straight.

Edited by wrenchtech

SSWorx has some all metal flares with no screw pockets. They only had a car in the building stage on their site last I checked, but it looked better than the typical zg pocket screw/rivet flares IMHO.

Edited by 1969honda

1 minute ago, 1969honda said:

SSWorx has some all metal flares with no screw pockets. They only had a car in the building stage on their site last I checked, but it looked better than the typical zg pocket screw/rivet flares IMHO.

I am not against flares with screw pockets, I don't want to give that impression. It's just that I really like the car as it is in this drawing. I would really like to see it come to life. Of course the guys at Carbon Signal have the hands on experience. There may be reasons I don't know about, aside from aesthetics, that had them go in a different direction.

I will try to search for some information about the flares from SSWorx.

In the meantime, I've been playing around with fiberglass and mold making. Recently I have been working on making some quarter panels for my first generation Toyota 4 runner. And I've been watching this guy. I think he made some cars for Hollywood movies. In any case he goes in depth on clay modeling custom car panels. It's interesting stuff. And it's interesting to consider that is the old school method in a world where computer aided design CAD and Computer aided manufacturing are gaining ground.

Excellent YouTube on Clay Modeling Custom Car Panels

24 minutes ago, 1969honda said:

I think some people have made the pocket flares actually look decent, but I'm not a huge fan. 

Couple threads down I found this:

I wish I had better developed skills for working with sheet metal for auto bodies, but right now I'm on the composites path. If Fred Singer can take old Porsche 911's and replace the hood, fenders and the roof with carbon fiber composite material, and then sell those cars for more than $300,000, then by golly, composites are good enough for me!  😉

• 1 month later...

Found this picture. Those are the wheel flares, but not the nose that I'm interested in. The problem with artistic renderings of custom cars is that what you see on paper can't always be reproduced in reality. I find that in seeing these flares on the vehicle that I don't like them as much as I thought I would. Fortunately, I think I found another alternative.

240z_custom_red.thumb.jpg.60359b79e2799f54b185cfd632f864b8.jpg