HybridZ

Flywheel/Clutch questions.... I'm baaaaack

Hi guys. 

Survived my final deployment and subsequent duty at 13 Area, Camp Pendleton. 25 years is enough.

Anyway....onward.

My Z is nearly done. I have the early v8 Camaro t5, the bellhousing, driveline, and such.

I need to remember which flywheel works..(I have the staggered bolt starter) and I keep hearing noises about a Jeep master cylinder and slave combo.

I don't start receiving my checks until July, and I am just getting back to civilian work because SCREW SITTING AROUND. Hence...as inexpensive as realistically possible...help!

If anyone has part numbers or pics of what you did...Id appreciate it. I'm still navigating this new fangled phone my girl got me...so forgive me if I haven't pored through the forums yet.

Semper Fidelis

Ssgt

Note: you should purchase the JTR Z  V8 conversion manual. And research HybridZ before doing the swap. The parts listed below are what I used.

1. T5 transmission:  The WC T5 transmission is tilted 15 degrees towards the driver.   The 15 deg tilt is absolutely no problem, I have done two.  Unless you want to make a special transmission mount, you will need an 89 Camaro T5 bell housing, driveshaft, flywheel, clutch pressure plate/disk, throw out arm, throw out bearing, clutch slave and a 7/8" clutch MC.  Note that there is a V8  and a V6 version of the T5 transmission. They have different spline counts.  You will need the V8 version.

2. Bell Housing:  1989 -90 bell housing for V8. Verify that the pivot ball is in place as that part is NLA.

3. Flywheel: 158 tooth flywheel:   https://www.summitracing.com/parts/zzz-50-6516

4. Clutch Kit: Zoom High Performance Clutch Kits HP1675-1A https://www.summitracing.com/parts/zzz-hp1675-1a/applications/

5. Clutch Hydraulic Components:

6. Clutch Hose and Fittings:

6. Starter: Hitachi gear reduction starter or similar unit.

ROLL PIN ADAPTOR FOR CAMARO CLUTCH SLAVE.jpg

SHIFTER AND CONSOLE INSTALLED.JPG

SHIFTER.jpg

T5 SHIFTER BOOT AND CONSOLE.JPG

T5 SHIFTER CLEARENCE.JPG

TILTON CLUTCH MC 280Z BOOSTER (1).jpg

WILWOOD CLUTCH MC 280Z BOOSTER (2).jpg

DSCF0446.JPG

Edited by Miles
SPELLING AND PICTURES

Do you know that you have to dent the body to allow clearance for the clutch arm? 

Do you know about drive line phasing?

There are a lot of details about the 240Z V8 conversion you need to know before you start the project.

Purchase and read the JTR V8 conversion manual. You can buy it here: https://jagsthatrun.com/collections/jtr-v8-conversion-manuals/products/copy-of-v-8-conversion-manual-for-volvo-200-series

JTR also sells many of the conversion parts you will need e.g., mounting brackets, hood bracket, speedometer drive gear (goes in the trans), etc.

Edited by Miles

You are way ahead of the game.

Hope you can post pictures of the trans install.

The only other thing that comes to mind is to check the balance of the new flywheel. My flywheel was off right out of the box. Also, I had a bad experience with the shop that shortened and balanced my driveshaft. After cutting the driveshaft, they welded the shaft back together off axis which caused a high speed vibration. Had to pull the driveshaft and take it to another shop to correct the problem.

1 hour ago, marinez said:

Augh. Finally got stuff in one place, need to move exhaust on drivers side. I'm using stock manifolds. If I post pics, you guys want to weigh in on best location?

You are using the stock Chevy rams horn manifolds?  Depending on the engine mounts used, the stock manifold may not clear the steering shaft.

Do you have a picture of the engine mounts?