HybridZ

Use of a torque plate?

M_Dragan

Hi, I'm upgrading to ARP head suds in my next build. Do I have to use a torque plate when having the 2J bored/honed? And should I bolt down the mains? I've heard different things, some saying I don't need it while others say its critical or my pistons will bind up in the cylinder wall from distortion. My power goal is 600hp maximum. Thanks!

7 hours ago, Geno750 said:

It's absolutely worth doing. You can rent one from Suprastore, and it's a pretty painless process. Just be sure to save the old head gasket to use with the plate.

im not 100% sure I still have that. how critical is it to use?

On 6/14/2018 at 1:12 PM, Geno750 said:

A gasket between the torque plate and motor is required. If you've got a new mls gasket use it. The risk there is it getting damaged, being clamped and reclamped later with the head isn't a big deal.

Serious question, how will the torque plate damage the deck without a gasket? I've never used one

1 hour ago, M_Dragan said:

Serious question, how will the torque plate damage the deck without a gasket? I've never used one

It's not that. The torque plate simulates the head. You don't put the head on without a gasket. For that reason, you don't put a torque plate on without a gasket, as it's no longer accurately simulating the head. 

On 6/16/2018 at 2:00 PM, Geno750 said:

It's not that. The torque plate simulates the head. You don't put the head on without a gasket. For that reason, you don't put a torque plate on without a gasket, as it's no longer accurately simulating the head. 

Okay cool. Sorry for replying so late, I've been on vacation. I ended up finding my head gasket but I have just a couple more questions for you if you don't mind answering them. 

1: what do you clean off the black head gasket stuff with from the old gasket? Scrubbing it with dawn and a scrubbing sponge does minimal.

2: Should I tell my machinist to also torque down my main caps? I've heard from some people that it's necessary.