HybridZ

What about EFR 7064? Its one sale...

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a EFR turbo for my turbo race car build. They have inbuilt BOV, wastegate and selonid so perfect for DIYers with limited fabrication capabilites. Downside its very expnsive, but the 7064 is now on sale everywhere. I guess its being replaced for something more modern.

I dont think its perfect for a 300-400hp L28 build, it seems to favor smaller displacement with higher boost. 

I plotted the airflow for 10psi, 16psi and 20psi. VE is 0.8, plotted line is from 3250 RPM to 6500 RPM.

image.thumb.png.1141ed3a755863cc10ca9842c382a33c.png

This is the same operating points on a old school T3/T4 hybrid. (from http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/turbo/turbomaps/index.htm)

280z_flow_on_T04e51.gif

How would the EFR 7064 compare against the older turbo plotted above? Seems it would perform similar on mid RPM but close to redline it would perform worse?

Spool is probably much faster on the EFR but efficiency seems to be equal or worse (for those operating points).

Comments? thoughts?

image.png

I have the Efr 6258.  The EFR 7064 was essentially replaced by the efr 7163. It spools faster and makes the same power. Its been a great turbo. My tuner tells me i'm not getting full use out of it as i'm only running 16psi. The turbo can easily handle 25 psi. I don't plan on running E85.  What i don't think you can see on the paper is how it feels to drive. Its the fastest spooling turbo i've ever felt. The wheel of the turbo is made out of a titanium blend. Sorry I cant add much more. I recommend you email Full Race and speak to the staff. They were very helpful when i was trying to decide which turbo to go with. I plan on swapping to the 7163 down the road.

1 hour ago, jessejames said:

I have the Efr 6258.  The EFR 7064 was essentially replaced by the efr 7163. It spools faster and makes the same power. Its been a great turbo. My tuner tells me i'm not getting full use out of it as i'm only running 16psi. The turbo can easily handle 25 psi. I don't plan on running E85.  What i don't think you can see on the paper is how it feels to drive. Its the fastest spooling turbo i've ever felt. The wheel of the turbo is made out of a titanium blend. Sorry I cant add much more. I recommend you email Full Race and speak to the staff. They were very helpful when i was trying to decide which turbo to go with. I plan on swapping to the 7163 down the road.

The 7163 doesn't come in T3 I think, will you use an adapter for that?

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:47 PM, jessejames said:

So you run the 6258 on the L28ET? i'm debating between the 6758 and 7163 on my RB25. From the numbers, it looks like the 6758 can get me pretty close to my 370whp goal (little over 425 hp). Plus it will spool quicker than the 7163, however it will probably be a power band that dies off in the higher RPM. Additionally, there is something to be said about turbine efficiency...the 7163 will probably make more power at a better pressure ratio with less back pressure. Decisions decisions.