HybridZ

Should I buy a 79 280zx

Freed1220

Trying to decide if i should buy a 79 280zx. Current owner says it needs a battery and that the seal for the brakes on the driver front is leaking. The body is in relatively good shape as well as the interior. I used to own a Z32 a couple years back and always wanted to go to the earlier models. The price is $500. Any help would be appreciated guys Thanks. 

Christian.

1556.jpg

1554.jpg

1553.jpg

Edited by Freed1220

3 hours ago, Freed1220 said:

Im looking to drive it daily, but also be fun.

Does it even run?  Do you have a place to work on it?  Not really enough info to say if it's worth $500.  If it takes another $1000 to make it a daily driver, keep looking for a $1500 car that runs.

Add up the parts you'll have to buy just to get it going.  The "seal" on the front brake is going to need a new caliper.  A decent battery is $100.  If the tires are shot, that's another $600.  Looks like the tires don't even match.  It might just be a parts car.  If you can't take it for a test drive, don't buy it.

Obviously it is gonna need alot of work if its $500. And it might not be worth ever making it a serious build but if it has potential to run and drive and you just wanna play around with something, what better can u do with $500 and have a rear wheel drive platform...a long as you know you might double your investment and invest some labor just to get it kinda reliable toy then have at it

2 hours ago, JSM said:

Just buy it. For $500 you should be able to part it out for more. That’s how I always look at cheap Z’s. Rust or not. 

This is another good reason. If nothing else, you could get a few hundred each for the motor, diff and trans. Could fairly easily make back your money and probably more.