HybridZ

I got a batch of lighter pistons

M_Dragan

Hey guys, my brother is building an engine alongside me. He had to have the engine bored to .020 over and his new Weisco pistons are all about 61 grams lighter than stock and weigh within a gram or two of eachother. I was reading that since the 2JZ engine is naturally balanced that it's fine to leave as-is but I don't want to mislead him. Does he have to balance his crank? FYI: stock crank, stock rods, ACL bearings, max of 600hp, and max 6,200RPM like my build.

Edited by M_Dragan

From pictures, it looks like the crank is fully counterweighted, so make sure your pistons, rods and hardware all weigh the same and you should be good.  It might be a good idea to check the balance of the crank by itself if you intend to spin it fast.

Edited by SleeperZ

54 minutes ago, SleeperZ said:

From pictures, it looks like the crank is fully counterweighted, so make sure your pistons, rods and hardware all weigh the same and you should be good.  It might be a good idea to check the balance of the crank by itself if you intend to spin it fast.

Can anyone confirm this? I had it spun and the crank is straight and everything

Hmm haven't heard of anyone getting a crank counter weighed just for lighter pistons. I've heard of balancing rotating assemblies which usually require the crank. If it is a serious build like that he may want to query a serious builder like real street who builds tons of these. In my head though given the way they move and how it is inherently balanced, I would think similarly as SleeperZ and you in that it probably is not required. I will say it never came up in conversation with my machine shop when I was planning on building my 7mgte.

1 hour ago, seattlejester said:

Hmm haven't heard of anyone getting a crank counter weighed just for lighter pistons. I've heard of balancing rotating assemblies which usually require the crank. If it is a serious build like that he may want to query a serious builder like real street who builds tons of these. In my head though given the way they move and how it is inherently balanced, I would think similarly as SleeperZ and you in that it probably is not required. I will say it never came up in conversation with my machine shop when I was planning on building my 7mgte.

Yeah maybe I'll write them an email. I don't really want to do it if I don't have to

UPDATE: realstreet performance says the crank doesn't have to be balanced. As long as the internals are balanced to each other, as in rods equal the same weight as eachother and pistons equal the same weight, it's good to go.

On 7/27/2018 at 11:31 AM, M_Dragan said:

his new Weisco pistons are all about 61 grams lighter than stock and weigh within a gram or two of eachother. 

So, the pistons aren't the "same" weight.  What are you going to recommend?

8 hours ago, Neverdone said:

If you already have the crank out, why not balance it?

There's a place near me that only charges 70 dollars to do that. If you're going high horsepower, isn't that a nice assurance to have for pretty cheap.

Because it doesn't need to be done, here in California I can't find a place less than $100 to balance my crank. They said the crank it balanced without the internals, so as long at the internals are balanced to eachother (which they are) it's okay.