HybridZ

Why are my wheel offsets so off?

Compared to everyone else's it seems at least.

Finally at the point in my build where I  need to pull the trigger on wheels before going too much further with the body work to make sure everything fits. The problem is what I'm measuring doesn't jive with what everyone else is using. An example is a 16x8 +0et wheel. From everything I've read and the pictures I've seen, that should be about flush with stock fenders.

However, when I  measure clearances (using Wed autobahn 15x7 +10et) I get the following:

Front: inner: 25mm outer: flush

Rear: inner: 25mm outer: 5mm

This is a 280z with coilovers.

So, when I run that through an offset calculator,  I should be looking at 16x8 +20 et wheels to be flush and take up the inboard space. So, how is my offset needed off 20mm from everone else?

Thanks

That sounds about right. I think people who run the 16x8's are at a higher height or running more camber. I rub on my 15x7 +0 wheels with 225/50/15. Also that is a consideration as well. Tires can fill out or limit the rim choice. Generally you get about an inch of inboard space with coilovers which seems to be what you have found. I think the absolute max I've seen where a guy could barely fit a coin between the perch and the rim and the rims were very flush with the fender  were 16x8 +4 on viczcar if memory serves.

On 8/1/2018 at 10:34 PM, SH4DY said:

Compared to everyone else's it seems at least.

Finally at the point in my build where I  need to pull the trigger on wheels before going too much further with the body work to make sure everything fits. The problem is what I'm measuring doesn't jive with what everyone else is using. An example is a 16x8 +0et wheel. From everything I've read and the pictures I've seen, that should be about flush with stock fenders.

However, when I  measure clearances (using Wed autobahn 15x7 +10et) I get the following:

Front: inner: 25mm outer: flush

Rear: inner: 25mm outer: 5mm

This is a 280z with coilovers.

So, when I run that through an offset calculator,  I should be looking at 16x8 +20 et wheels to be flush and take up the inboard space. So, how is my offset needed off 20mm from everone else?

Thanks

I think you measured right for coil overs . They buy you a lot more room inside . I run 17x8.5 +4 and wish it was +10. That would have allowed 245’s on the rear with stock springs. +4 was really close on the front perch, so I actually flattened that side of perch slightly. Coil overs would have been no problem.

I am currently running 225/45/17

I also wish I had positive offset (+10?). I have XXR 527's in 16x8.25 +0et with 225/50/R16 and coilovers. Tires stick outside fenders just barely. IDK how nothing rubs. It is a miracle that I haven't had to roll/trim anything. I'm lowered about 1/2".

Here is how well those fit. I wouldn't quite call them "flush" with the fenders:

fCW8K56.jpgg0wf4ci.jpg