HybridZ

So many questions (L28, California Datsun, Build options)

Stokked240z

CZCC = classiczcars.com

Good on ya for sticking with an L series. Too many people ditch them for something else because they assume it's a bad motor because it's old. Or that they have to have 600hp to have fun with the car. Foolish.

What about doing a stock rebuild yourself on the L24, and getting an L28 to send out for a performance build? That way you can stow away the stock, matching numbers L24 in case you, or another owner, ever decide to put the car back to bone stock original.

I'll check out that other forums!

Thanks. I've noticed, especially with the L24. People just throw it out the door. And I can't count how many threads I read where someone was building one. And every comment was to abandon the L24 and their build ideas. Seems everyone is stuck on needing to go turbo.

Yeah, so that was kind of the idea. I think I'll probably go with an L28 built by Datsun Spirit and after I get that all sorted out. I'll probably do a stock rebuild on the L24 in my garage as a learning tool. And then keep it stored away.

So are you planning on doing any of your engine work or just contracting that out?

Displacement and rpms are king with NA, so most move on from the L24 unless restricted by rules of racing or something . Or your like me and you what to learn and practice on your 24 before you spend bigger money on a 28! 

I am currently building a L28 and have a stroker by Rebello in the works. Hopefully I make most of my mistakes on the 24 before I get to the 3.2

Yes, there is nothing like the sound of an N/A L28, I just love it.  But I went turbo because it was bolt in and no internal work needed.  Still sounds nice, and the torque of the turbo helps me get over my lack of cash and engine building skills.