HybridZ

Engine sputtering / sometimes wont start... fuel pump needs to be pumped by hand

Had a couple situations where I thought the car ran out of gas or something sputtered and died and then either needed gas or just needed to pull the valve cover and pump the fuel pump by hand until gas comes up and then it usually starts right up.... happened about 4 times, one i think was because the car was out of gas and then put gas in and needed to be pumped after that... other 3 car had gas.... is this a fuel pump issue or the dreaded vapor lock? located in nj, these have all happened within the past 2 months any guidance would be appreciated! 

car did it again today.... drained the tank car had ~8 gallons in it when it did this, drove about 10 miles and then parked for about 20 mins then it wouldnt start... pulled the pump, pressed it by hand quite a few times and then was back on the road

Assuming the plugs are good, you didn't change anything electrical, bump an elec. connection somewhere, (voe), and it's not leaking fuel, I'd suspect a lack of fuel. A fuel pressure and volume test could eliminate the pump as a cause. Checking and or changing filters, starting with the last chance banjo fittings on top of the float bowls all the way back to the tank is always a good idea. If you think it may be just a mixture problem, while it's struggling to go up a hill, gradually add some choke and see if it improves.