HybridZ

Series 1 240z paint color options/opinions

5 Star Rising

I have a early 71 240z 12/70. After this body work she will be getting some fresh paint. I know that the color is entirely up to me and what I prefer but I was wondering what you guys thought. So here's my situation , I like the Avacado Green color but according to "keeping it correct" the Avacado color didn't come out till Sept 71. I also like the kilamajaro white color that was available in many years but green would be my first choice.

This car is not bone stock to start with, I have a spoiler and front valance, 5 speed trans, aftermarket rear carpet, headers, 3" exhaust, coil overs,triple webber carbs, electronic ignition. Will I ever sell my car? I hope not.. But if I had to, a die hard collector could always change back everything that I added to the car but the paint would not be correct. Back in the day these cars were found in the junk yard and abandoned and people would spray them any color they want but these days they are bringing big money and I'm wondering if should just go with the White paint and keep it a series 1 paint option.  

I'm sure there will be mixed thoughts on this coming from the guys who could care less and fully customize their rides and the collectors that need every nut and bolt correct.

What's the original color? That's what I would go with. If you're going to repaint it a different color, and want to maintain the car's value to a collector, you'll need to do a complete color change. These cars never had a build sheet or anything, so as long as the color is correct for the year, and done properly, no one would ever know that the color was changed.

Personally, I think 904 white would sell better than 113 green metallic. Not really a fan of 113.

I think you'll get better answers to a question like this on classiczcars.com.

Edited by rturbo 930

Oops Seattle, I may have posted in the wrong spot...

Rturbo,  the original color was blue.  Not a big fan of that color to be honest.  The car will have a nice paint job but it will be done with the motor in it. So engine compartment will probably be cleaned and rattle canned gloss black over the old blue. Might look nice with white and black. As the interior is black also..

I'll offer you another option, since you seem to be interested in the car's value as a collector - have the car painted in the original color, and then have the car vinyl wrapped in the color of your choice. And, since it's just a wrap that you can peel off whenever, you can wrap it whatever color you like. As a bonus, the wrap will also serve to protect the paint underneath.

Since you're doing an engine-in respray, meaning the car is clearly not doing a complete color change (inside, outside, everywhere), this paint job isn't going to help the value of the car in that regard, and a collector who wants an original car will have to have the car repainted anyway.

I have had 12 S30 Z car's in the past, but this is my first early car and I plan on keeping her a long time, but you never know when life makes you sell things you don't want too. I think a nice re spray will go along way. Dents and dings all over the car currently being worked out but not much rust issues thank goodness. Should come out great even though it's not a full paint redue.

Got the car 3 years ago for next to nothing, so a nice paint job should make a world of difference in the value of what I got into it. But at the end of the day it's not for sale. Going to be my prize ride. It's looking like 904 might be the paint..

Yeah, a good respray will make it look a lot nicer, of course, it's just that you'd be selling to a slightly different market than a respray in the original color, and likely for a little less money as well. But no doubt it'll make the car a lot nicer, and an OE color will be better than an aftermarket color.