HybridZ

N47 Turbo Possibility

taaron

So I've been trying to decide on an engine to put into my 78 project for some time. And this week I've had a few different chances fall through. A little disheartening, but got me thinking about alternatives.

I currently have a 78 with a N42 block and an N47 head. Not looking for a response to this of, buy a P90 head, I know the head I have is the "least desirable" head out there. But I already have it. I believe this means I have the dished pistons, and a compression ratio of about 8.3:1. Say I wanted to take the turbo exhaust manifold off a 280zx, ignoring the different shaped exhaust ports, could I bolt this on? It seems like 8.3 is terribly high and wouldn't be terrible for turboing in theory. Especially if I put on a 2mm metal head gasket to try and lower compression a bit further. Also, if I could do this, would running an intercooler and potentially meth allow me to run this is a little harder a little safer?

There are a few threads out there about doing this.  The key is engine management.  You're only up to the simple part.

Here's a good broad overview - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/50208-the-ultimate-l28et-guidewhat-you-need-for-350whp/

Do it!

I'm running a MN47. Currently with a turbo bottom end, but eventually when the head comes off for porting/revalve I'm going to build it with flat tops. I'm going to run as right of piston to deck clearance as possible too! I'll let the head builder choose the cam for the application, and get the geometer right for it as such.

But really, all in all, the head difference and port miss-match are all tiny differences in the grand scheme of things. With programmable EFI it's a bit of a moot point. Run what you want, and tune it how it likes. If it's detonation limited for half the RPM range, so what, now you know. Now you know if you need more cam to reduce dynamic compression or if you should add some meth.

My plan is dual fuel with E85. So now that I finally have my engine running with the new combo with MS3X, the next step in this build path would be building a custom intake with a second row of injectors. But. one thing a time. First I need to get my tune sorted and derivable.

Also consider this: the aftermarket HKS turbo setups existed before the 280ZX turbo was even a thing. What head where they putting those on?....