HybridZ

Stylish small drop 280z

Hi all,

I have a 1975 280z, with stock suspension and 14Inch Slotted Mag BF wheels (notation 91972 on the inside, but no clue what that means). Current tires are 195/70 r14. I'm not sure what type/size of rims I have (and which width 7 or 7.5, ET and J or JJ) I plan to install 215/65 r14, which I think should fit the rims.

So I am not considering changing the overall wheel diameter, but would really like to lower the car by 1,5-2 inches. I was wondering if anyone knows the stock height, and advise for a relative simple way to lower. I will not cut the coils, and I prefer not to install coil-overs now. I have been looking around on the forum and I have seen lowering springs, but to be honest, I really cant find what spec springs I should get. I live in Holland and am looking for a solution which I can buy here in Europe. Budget max 500 euro for now.

Anyone know the stock ride height, and what would be to right way to go based on my wishes.

Thx, joost 

Most obvious choice:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic20c01/23-4042

Shouldn't be too expensive shipped to Holland.

Cutting the springs is only advisable in some circumstances. Some people say it's dangerous, but I've seen plenty of historical examples of racing teams doing it regularly in the 70's. So obviously any added "danger" was negligible compared to being on a track with other cars.

Just remember that lowering a car requires stiffer springs. Stiffer springs will require more force from a strut to achieve the same dampening rate.  Wanting to adjust any of these factors will have impact on all the rest. Suspension design is always a balance of pros and cons and you have to realize you're giving something up if you want more of something else.

Well,

In my search it seems that Eibach does not know anything about any suitable springs. They also do not see this product as part of their line in the USA (I really wonder how those others are then Eibach's). Also many tuner could not recommend any suitable set. They advised me to look in the USA :-). 

However, I got a reaction directly from Vogtland. They can supply me some springs. Not part of their main product line, but it does give me a good option and lowers about 3,5 cm.

Thx for all your advise!!

Cheers,

Joost