HybridZ

Does Rota not make a 16x8 or 16x9 RKR?

14 hours ago, luke87gt said:

Thanks for the reply. The wheels are close but the dual drill pattern is a deal breaker.

Wonder why Rota avoided making arguably the most at home size of 16” on the RKR?

Because 15's are lighter and 17's are flashier.

Most people want one or the other, and choosing a middle option usually doesn't get you want you actually want and is a compromise that isn't worth it.

5 minutes ago, Neverdone said:

Most people want one or the other, and choosing a middle option usually doesn't get you want you actually want and is a compromise that isn't worth it.

What? Loads of people run 16s dude. It's a popular size for older cars, since they're not as big or heavy as 17s, but can fit bigger brakes than 15s, and also have a bit better tire selection.

Today's tire options essentially tell us consumers that the wider tread you want the taller wheel you need to have good selections. Slowly but surely, the 15 is dying and now 16s are in the same state as 15s were 5 years ago with thinning selections. Sure, there's still options for both, but not like there was back when more OEMs were using them. Can anyone find me more than one tire to fit the Ferrari F40 stock size? I bet you can find several options for the current fleet of super/hyper cars.

Rota will build whatever there's damand for. Rota didn't make a 17 with the right backspacing for our cars until rudypoochris organized the group buy, and now it seems they're everywhere and our distributor kept our group buy pricing for a LONG time because we just kept bringing him business. Get 100 other people together who want a 16" RKR and they'll be happy to prototype it for you.

...but what tire are you putting on a 16"? Because you can't utilize huge flares with a 16" tire commonly available, and the remaining 15" options fit nicely without flares... To each his own, but this is why there hasn't been the market for a plethora of options. Fabricate pickups for donor suspension that runs high offset and pick any wheel you want. ;-)

11 hours ago, Neverdone said:

Im not sure I agree with this because the most common Rota for Datsun these days is the RBR. It comes in 16x8 +4 offset (and I see way more 16s in this wheel than I do 17s).

To answer the question above:

- Stock fenders (no flares)

- 225/50/16 tires 

i would like to run a 16x8 with 0 or +4 offset. The RKR is the wheel I want but I don’t want to pay Watanabe prices.

There lies my dilemma 😀

Edited by luke87gt

Totally agree with your dilemma. I was content going with the RBR's, but then wussed out because I was concerned about rubbing in the front at full turn. So took the easy way out and ordered RB's in 16x7. I just couldn't get comfortable that the RBR's wouldn't rub on the stock spring perch in front and still fit well under the fenders. I've seen too many Z's on the various forums looking like rally cars because they went with a wheel package that is too wide.