HybridZ

Thoughts on this s30 project

inis

Looks like a prime candidate for a front tube chassis! I'd weld on some 1x1 square tube to locate a few things for future reference and just start cutting that front end off. You've already mentioned a LS, and you're on hybridz so you're obviously not a purist. Put some better front suspension on the thing (the largest handling issues are up front) and call it a day. Far less work than trying to make large bent metal straight again imo. 

The rest of the car actually doesn't look that bad. Once you clean the inside out and start getting it clean you'll know how far gone the pans and other parts are. 

Yeah plan is to clean it out and remove front clip/ engine. See where I'm at then. It's hard to tell but once we got it on the trailer the drivers side is pushed up higher and left is mostly straight. If I was to guess someone ran a 3 way stop and went into a ditch hard. I have a tig welder, I'll do what I need to for the front end. Hoping as I did into it more that everything is able to be replaced/repop and not needing made by myself. Engine cradle did look twisted too.

Got it off the trailer today but the rain became to much to do anything more. So far all the drip rails look great, all of the hatch area too. I'm hoping the upper front unibody isn't to bad. But wont know for a few weeks. Need to do a garage rearrangement to get this inside.

20180908_114736.jpg

20180908_114758.jpg

20180908_114821.jpg

20180908_114810.jpg

On 9/8/2018 at 12:45 PM, Ryanotown22 said:

Time to break out the vacuum 

got to it alittle bit yesterday. Weather gave me a 2hr window. I got the rear hatch area clean. Front of spare tire is rusted out, didn't look bad to patch. Rear hump behinds seats, drivers pocket/door access looked great almost new. Between the two covers there is alot of surface rust, right (passenger side) hatch around the lip had alot of surface rust. Overall really not bad. I did get a chance to pull up the carpet on both sides around the seat. Lets just say there is no floor left lol. Passenger seat is more or less a steel frame with covers falling off of it. Frame is loose however functional. Drivers side seat is not functional and same scenario otherwise. From what I can see, looks like just the floor pans under the seat. More to come later this week, going to take a power washer to the interior to it after some more vacuuming. Also drivers door wont open, outside handle although in place looks to be broken internally. I can get the window down however interior latch doesn't work either. Its not clean enough inside to crawl into yet lol.

After I get the interior cleaned out and inspected, I will pull off the front fenders and see the extent of the unibody damage. If its looks repairable (by me) I will start prepping the garage for winter use (no heat currently). If it doesn't I will probably re-sale the car and move onto another project or get a quote from a buddies bodyshop. 

20180908_170557.jpg

Edited by inis

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah that's looking pretty rough.   White interior.  Do you have the headliner?   I have a white interior minus the headliner.  It's really really uncommon to find it in decent shape.    From your pictures, I'd recommend parting it out and getting another vehicle.  You're going to spend a LOT on repairs on just the rust, even before the actual body damage.  If you do part it, let me know about the white panels/vinyl.   Tabco has most of the repair panels including the wheelwell. though you might buy it all through RockAuto, I got my rear panels for $40 cheaper through there.

Depends on how much pain you like I suppose.   

Did you check the firerwall vin to make sure it matches the title? Missing Vin plate is a huge red flag since someone has to specifically try to remove it.  Might do a title search on that Vin# just to be sure another (maybe stolen) car isn't registered under that number, befor eyou do much more work on this one.  Title issues are super sticky.

Phar