HybridZ

Been drooling over an s30 for a long time, finally got one!

I own a 1986 300zx that I bought 9 years ago and ever since I bought it, I have wanted a 240z. Well just this weekend I was finally able to acquire something that's definitely far from perfect, but something that I can drive and work on and make into something my own! I have attached a link to the imgur gallery below. I am super happy with the car. It definitely needs some work, but I can't find any rust that's bad. A little bit of surface rust and that's about it. Which is amazing since this is a midwest car lol. The car has been painted at some point in it's life and it shows how old it is. A lot of little scratches in the paint and such. It used to be orange, which one day I hope to bring back. I have a bumper for a 73, but since it mounts different I might have to find something else to go with. I got an old exhaust with the car that is basically a straight pipe with some resonators on the back I may try to install. The guy took it off because it was too loud and would wake up his kids. It has a header on it, but I can't tell what brand. Overall I am really happy with and I just want to bring it back to stock and just drive it! Let me know what you think!

https://imgur.com/a/XrDIuR7

Thanks everyone! Right now, I plan on getting it a bit fixed up. It runs pretty good, but the shifter has a lot of slop and the carbs I think need a good adjusting/cleaning. The filters on it look like they've never been replaced. There is a bit of interior stuff to do, the passenger window won't roll all the way down, needs carpet in the front, and a dash cover most definitely. Exterior I plan on putting black bumpers on the front and rear, try my best to buff the blue paint and make it look as good as it can, touch up the scratches, put some Konig Rewinds on it for sure, I was thinking of a chin spoiler for the front and maybe a little 432 wing on the back. Might even pull the trim off and have it powdered black. Other than that just get it running and driving as well as I can. I am sure more will come after the initial fix up and getting to cosmetically look the way I want. 

I really like the Dan Gurney mags it has right now, but they are only 14s and while the tires have plenty of tread, they are old and flat spotted. I plan on replacing them eventually, but that's a bit further down on my list. 

This thing also doesn't have a radio, which doesn't bother me too much, but I think I will put a unit in and buy some of those kick panels with the built in speakers off the Z store.

Finally, I do plan on painting it in the future. It was originally orange, so I might take it back. Though, I really like a blue Z and would prefer that, it just depends on when I get around to that part. 

I am super excited about this, because this is definitely one of my dream cars that always seemed out of reach until now!

• 1 month later...

I have been working pretty hard on getting the car where I have wanted it. Saturday I snapped a few pics of what I consider close to how I want it. It still needs to be lowered and I hadn't gotten the chance to put the badges back on, but the pics still turned out pretty good.

1 - RVchk4f.jpg

2 - Nb92f4A.jpg

3 - s5bCvUP.jpg

4 - b28WNNs.jpg

5 - 2sRWrW4.jpg

6 - aHu1IoY.jpg

7 - JjOfovI.jpg

Yeah, it was a friend of a friend's car and it had been sitting for a long while in his garage. He would get it out and drive every once in a while, but he was married and had kids and didn't have a lot of time for it. His wife wanted something they could all ride in together and so he decided to sell it. I have been wanting one of these for a long time, but never could find one that I liked for the price I wanted. The guy wanted to sell it and my friend told him I was interested in them. Ended up coming to deal and it was mine. 

It's had rust repair done to it at some point and it has been repainted and you can definitely tell that it wasn't prepped well when painted, but most of the normal places for rust seem to be rust free. I have had the car looked over and everyone seems to think it's pretty solid. I do have a couple of concerns that came up as I was working on it. One being a small crack in the paint where the roof and the c-pillar meet. There is filler, but most cars have filler where the seams are in order to get the paint smooth. It could just be bad prep. Also the driver side door internals have been cut out and then welded back in. Not sure what's up with that.

The car runs okay, but the carbs need some work. This winter I plan on going through the drivetrain and as much of the suspension as I can. Driving it during the winter is just asking for it to wither away, so once we start seeing really cold weather it's going away. Figured I would drive it while I can and then start taking it apart again, haha. I am happy with the car though, my girlfriend isn't happy I took her spot in the garage. I might have to do some rearranging with motorcycles, my z31 and the s30 so I can fit her car in when it starts getting chilly.

4 hours ago, Kiilez said:

One being a small crack in the paint where the roof and the c-pillar meet. There is filler, but most cars have filler where the seams are in order to get the paint smooth. It could just be bad prep.

There is lead filler at the joint between the roof and the rear quarter, as well as at the bottom of the A pillar. Because the car is fairly flexible, both places have been known to develop cracks in the lead filler. That's what you're seeing.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rturbo 930 said:

There is lead filler at the joint between the roof and the rear quarter, as well as at the bottom of the A pillar. Because the car is fairly flexible, both places have been known to develop cracks in the lead filler. That's what you're seeing.

Thanks! That's definitely reassuring! I figured it was some sort of seam filler, but of course I was dreading the worst lol.