HybridZ

brake cooling backing plate

nzarano

has anyone ever made a backing plate that allows for ducting to directly cool the front braking system?

something like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=brake+duct+backing+plates&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj73szWjqTdAhUGSN8KHWWxAPMQ_AUICygC&biw=1133&bih=666#imgrc=onOrFg9P04DUqM:

any input on how to make one for the 240z would be highly appreciated! just installed new porterfield pads and good rotors and still suffering from fade on the backroads....

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

A lot of the autoX guys simply remove the backing plate altogether, cool air covers the whole disc.

Often times ducting is needed for road racing. The higher airflow prevents heat soak and fade that you don't run into with short Auto-X runs. 

On 9/5/2018 at 1:33 PM, Neverdone said:

DSC01054.JPG

That's the stock brake backing plate with a tube welded on. 

simple yet awesome, i like it! might look into something like that.... where do you have the air coming from? i dont want to put an airdam on the car so was thinking of getting air from somewhere around/ under the grill or lower valance

Hmmm...  I'm running Porterfields and when they heat up, they perform better.  Although my Z likes the uphill better, there's this downhill run I take up above Tortilla Flat in the Superstition Mountains.  By the bottom of the hill my friction is working it's best - and I've never noticed fade.  I'm running vented rotors in front.