Jump to content
HybridZ

Recommended Posts

Hi all:  Would love some opinions on how to address my battery tray area (pics below). 

 

So far I've spent about 30 minutes with sand paper and a mini (1/2") belt sander, and things are looking better.  There's some pitting, but nothing too serious from what I can tell.    Advice needed: 

 

 What's the best way to get under the tray to remove remaining rust?  What tools are folks using for this?  Once that's done, what cleaner(s) are be used once as much rust as possible is removed?  Once it's cleaned,  what should I apply to prevent future rust? POR-15?  Something else?  

 

I'd like to avoid removing the battery tray if possible/practical.

 

Thanks in advance,

 

Jughead

 

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Jugs but to do the job right you need to drill  the spot welds out with a spot weld drill and remove the tray to get access to the rust underneath, otherwise it will just come back.  Grind or sand back to clean metal and apply 2k epoxy primer and then paint.

There are some good 2k primers in rattle cans now for small jobs like the battery tray area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

Sorry Jugs but to do the job right you need to drill  the spot welds out with a spot weld drill and remove the tray to get access to the rust underneath, otherwise it will just come back.  Grind or sand back to clean metal and apply 2k epoxy primer and then paint.

There are some good 2k primers in rattle cans now for small jobs like the battery tray area.

Got a brand of primer/paint you like? Gonna be needing some soon.

 

Anyway, I agree. You need to take out the battery tray. After that, I'd probably hit it with a wire wheel, apply naval jelly to the rust, and then prime/paint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I'd treat the area with a rust converter after ridding the area of loose rust. Ospho (it will seep into the seams) is my favorite but any acid (muriatic is effective but extreme, phosphoric is better) will convert the rust. Then a zinc rich primer and on to paint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, rturbo 930 said:

Got a brand of primer/paint you like? Gonna be needing some soon.

I like this suff, it says once it is mixed you have 4 days but if it is warm you get about 2 days. I have put a half a can in the fridge and it was still usable 10 days later.

6 hours ago, bunkhouse said:

 I'd treat the area with a rust converter after ridding the area of loose rust. Ospho (it will seep into the seams) is my favorite but any acid (muriatic is effective but extreme, phosphoric is better) will convert the rust. Then a zinc rich primer and on to paint.

Muriatic doesn't convert rust, it removes it, then when it is rinsed off it will flash rust so fast you can watch it. Nasty stuff, I have never found a way to neutralize it, it seems to get into the steel and continue rusting under the primer. Phosphoric acid (Ospho) is the best to use.

 

IMG_1118.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×