HybridZ

2JZ/RB26 in 240/260 = Nose-Heavy?

Max_S

Simple question, but haven't really been able to find an answer.
To those who run RB26-engines (NA or turbocharged) or Toyota's 2JZ-engine in a Z, does it make the car feel nose-heavy?
Because I imagine that it does, with both engines being quite heavy (iron blocks) and long, putting a lot of weight relatively far out front.
I'm asking since both engines are attractive options (the L28 used to be too, as a turbo, but is not quite what I'm looking for), but a balanced and well-cornering package is important to me.

Max

I think with good tires it would be negligible. Most people who do the swaps push the engines further back, it doesn't do anything for the weight split since the engine is still over the front axle, but less leverage on the engine? Hard to compare really since usually the power difference is quite drastic. Best bet would be asking @dexter72 as someone who went from turbo L28 to turbo 2jz. Maybe even @Ben280 as his L28 probably puts out quite a lot and he has driven my Z, although the setups are so different in tires/suspension it may not be a fair comparison.

At least a few are well known entities:

For example, the S52 is just over 400lbs, spitting difference from the L engine. Real difference would come to what accessories, flywheel, and clutch you run. The transmission different is significant though, And you can really see that in the L28+ trans compared to the 7MGTE+trans weight. You can also see that the VQ+trans is about the same package weight as the L engine, despite the engine being a good 20lbs or more lighter. The stock Z transmissions are light! Also why they're not super stout.

On 9/19/2018 at 11:02 AM, Zetsaz said:

@seattlejester Have you ever checked the weight balance after your swap? 

@OverkillZ Might have info too.

YES I actually did! I 4 pointed the car before and after the swap. It’s in my build thread somewhere but the car weighed 2610 with the l28 and 2680 with the 2jz in it. If you think about it it’s mostly all the turbo stuff and intercooler piping that wasn’t there before. And yes the weight moves forward even with my crossmember slamming the motor back against the firewall. And that is with my batter up front. If I moved the battery to the back it would almost cancel out the weight shift. 

When I drove @seattlejester 's car, it was a pretty apples to oranges comparison unfortunately, I'd need more data to make a real conclusion. A lot of people confuse understeer with bad weight distribution. You can have a 50/50 car that understeers like an absolute pig! With the build, try and keep the weight as close to the axles as you can, and low. That's gonna be the biggest help. As @OverkillZ mentioned, moving heavy objects off the nose will help with your weight, but at the end of the day, suspension will be the defining feature for handling characteristics. 

PS, look at all this tagging we can do now!