HybridZ

Dash repair 78 280Z

2.JPG

I used Great Stuff foam insulation to fill the splits. 

IMG_6296.jpg

I used R/C model airplane plywood to add stiffeners with epoxy.  

IMG_6303.jpg

Covered with Padded Dash Filler

IMG_6365.jpg

Got frustrated with how fragile it was and covered it in carbon fiber vale, also a R/C airplane product.

IMG_6366.jpg

More carbon fiber

IMG_6416.JPG

Padded dash filler over all of it, 

IMG_6415.JPG

Ready to bed line.

IMG_6457.JPG

Bed lined.

IMG_6466.jpg

Liquid chrome pen from Hobby Lobby

IMG_6496.jpg

Installed. 

Edited by D9inger

That looks like new!  I can't tell for sure, did you cover the complete top and front with the carbon?  I thought about fiberglass for mine as I haven't worked with carbon.  I'm a little afraid to take on this project, although my dash looks like yours did so I don't know if I could make it much worse.

On 9/24/2018 at 11:43 AM, Matt 78Z said:

That looks like new!  I can't tell for sure, did you cover the complete top and front with the carbon?  I thought about fiberglass for mine as I haven't worked with carbon.  I'm a little afraid to take on this project, although my dash looks like yours did so I don't know if I could make it much worse.

I did just the top and across the tops of the gauges. I used 30 minute epoxy thinned slightly with anhydrous alcohol, (99% water free) but it took several weeks working on it on weekends and some weeknights.  I'm a big fan of that bed liner. 

As far as taking it on as a project, when I first started working on it I was asking myself "what have I gotten myself into" but the padded dash filler sands easy, it hardens quick so be ready to use it as soon as it's mixed. The more you mix up the faster it cures it seems.  I bought 3 cans from somewhere on the web, it's expensive on Amazon so don't get it there. 

I figured in the worst case scenario and I goof it all up, I'd just put the dash cap back on it. 

BUT I do know a guy in CA that is making new dashes now. They're expensive but available. 

Edited by D9inger

3 hours ago, D9inger said:

BUT I do know a guy in CA that is making new dashes now. They're expensive but available. 

That is probably Vintage Dashes?  They have a nice product but for me on the other side of the continent and a different country the price is... a lot. I think that layer of carbon fiber is going to make all the difference, a few guys that have followed similar dash repair procedures are starting to see cracks along the old cracks. I'm planing on using a weave carbon fiber so those valleys never show up again.  Who has the ugliest dash?:lol:

IMG_0883.JPG

My Dash is at least as cad if not worse on both my cars.  One has complete splits and the other has ruptures that are raised easilly more than an inch.   I've seen people try these repairs, but fragility is an issue, as is later cracking in the hot sun.  It looks like you've use Great stuff for the foam repairs, but what about underneath, has any repairs been done to the underside to help stabilize the dash on the frame?  I like how the bedliner looks like it's coated very well.

The Just dashes guy wants near $2K for a new dash, but that includes a full rebuild and vaccuum formed overlay. 

2 hours ago, Neverdone said:

Do you have a link to what the "carbon fiber vale" you used?

I guess I was spelling it wrong! It's "Veil".

https://www.fibreglast.com/product/Carbon_Fiber_Veil_1064/Surfacing_Veils?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuafdBRDmARIsAPpBmVVTMdV86gcDc-CaKbG1OtBp9g_2aWTX7gdkW8n7KTzpRbSkxYca9P4aAqmWEALw_wcB

I've had it for a long time, there may be a better product for what we're doing but the company Fibre Glast is a fine company to deal with. I'm not associated with them in any way, I bought that veil 15 years ago for a R/C jet I was trying to build. 

2 hours ago, Pharaohabq said:

My Dash is at least as cad if not worse on both my cars.  One has complete splits and the other has ruptures that are raised easilly more than an inch.   I've seen people try these repairs, but fragility is an issue, as is later cracking in the hot sun.  It looks like you've use Great stuff for the foam repairs, but what about underneath, has any repairs been done to the underside to help stabilize the dash on the frame?  I like how the bedliner looks like it's coated very well.

The Just dashes guy wants near $2K for a new dash, but that includes a full rebuild and vaccuum formed overlay. 

https://www.instagram.com/vintagedashes/?hl=en

I know the guy personally, if fact I bought my Z from him. I'm not sure if he has them or it's a special order thing.