HybridZ

Can i fit a fs5w71g in my 74

MerloZ

Will a 93 nissan gardbody 2wd fs5w71g 5 speed fit like a 240sx ka trans will. I want to machine the bellhousing of a l series 4 speed i have to make it fit. I can pick it up for cheaper than a 240sx trans and im gonna rebuild it while im at it. Im told it could work but is it just as strong and is the outside any bigger or longer??. Cant find any info on it. Thanks

2WD generally has "normal" gear ratios.  There's a thread out there somewhere where we went in to great detail about all of the possible 71_ differences.  I think the G's might have a shorter tail shaft.  A measurement might tell you if you have the G in front of you.

This is from the 1995 FSM.

image.png.d0f1438e0c06433a5d3e6af60ef5db7c.png

Wow okay thanks everyone for the replies. Much apreciated. But none reallly answer my question aside from it being the same lenght as a 71b. As long as i can still use and machine an l series bell housing, use a short throw shifter ,still make a decently simple mount, it can handle more power than my 4 speed, and the gearing isnt too crazy cuz i do autocross. Then i really want to do this swap. Mainly just for a 5th gear. I cant stand driving at 4500 in 4th any longer lol. Kinda hard to find this information i wish nissan had their own chart for every transmission. It should be a fs5w71g if im correct and its out of a 2wd 93 with a ka24e. Can anyone confirm this or post up some info they might have?

On 9/23/2018 at 6:59 AM, MerloZ said:

Will a 93 nissan gardbody 2wd fs5w71g 5 speed fit like a 240sx ka trans will.

is it just as strong and is the outside any bigger or longer??.

No, it fits better.

Yes, it is just as strong.

No, it's the same size and length.

3 hours ago, NewZed said:

No, it fits better.

Yes, it is just as strong.

No, it's the same size and length.

Okay great and the gearing should be what you posted earlier right??  Now correct me if im wrong but my 4 speed trans housing will still work with machining correct? I hope. The article i read was unclear. Only mentioned 5 speeds

On 9/23/2018 at 11:41 AM, Chickenman said:

Ok.. so some reserch shows that to be a 5 speed out of a  4 cylinder 1986 to 1988 4WD Pathfinder . May not be the best choice. Probably going to have stump puller low gears. 

Gotta run... tuning session.

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission_overhaul_kits/nissan.html

Compared to the reasearch ive done this chart seems incorrect it says 240sx has  a fs5w71h and the truck id be getting has a fs5w71e. Ughh i hate when info doesnt match. I always thought the 240sx was fs5w71c and the truck was a g boy oh boy. Sooo if the truck has a e will it fit and still be as strong. Also if theres a code to what each letters and numbers mean that i dont know please chime in and tell me

I think it's one of the more accurate charts out there. By a company that sells rebuild kits, so they have to have a pretty accurate Data Base.   Did you go to the Details Page? I didn't have

time. It's got a very good break down.

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission_overhaul_kits/nissan.html

I your original post you were asking about an FS5W71G... you said it was a 2wd.  Parts Chart doesn't agree with that. Shows all the G models as 4wd. 

Now you seem to be saying you are getting an FS5W71E.  That would make sense for a 2wd. Which is it G or E ? 

13 hours ago, MerloZ said:

Compared to the reasearch ive done this chart seems incorrect it says 240sx has  a fs5w71h and the truck id be getting has a fs5w71e. Ughh i hate when info doesnt match. I always thought the 240sx was fs5w71c and the truck was a g boy oh boy. Sooo if the truck has a e will it fit and still be as strong. Also if theres a code to what each letters and numbers mean that i dont know please chime in and tell me

The transmission rebuild industry seems to have gotten some bad information many years ago and it persists.  The 280ZX never had a 71C for example, and the 5 speed is a FS5W71B, not 71A.  These errors are found on many rebuild parts suppliers' sites.  Like any other project, the best you'll do is to get close, then have to take measurements and check that what you're doing will work.  You're not going to find the final answer out here on the internet.

Good luck.  Edit - and Xnke is very very often right in what he writes.  He doesn't seem to visit the site much anymore but he generally steers people the right way and has done a lot of work on these Z's.  If he says the G is the same length as the B then it probably is.  Use the Service Manuals to determine what's a G or an H.  They label them in the MT Chapters.

image.thumb.png.3a4536b644fa90e06a8555a6558aea38.png

Edited by NewZed

11 minutes ago, NewZed said:

The transmission rebuild industry seems to have gotten some bad information many years ago and it persists.  The 280ZX never had a 71C for example, and the 5 speed is a FS5W71B, not 71A.  These errors are found on many rebuild parts suppliers' sites.  Like any other project, the best you'll do is to get close, then have to take measurements and check that what you're doing will work.  You're not going to find the final answer out here on the internet.

Good luck.  Edit - and Xnke is very very often right in what he writes.  He doesn't seem to visit the site much anymore but he generally steers people the right way and has done a lot of work on these Z's.  If he says the G is the same length as the B then it probably is.  Use the Service Manuals to determine what's a G or an H.  They label them in the MT Chapters.

image.thumb.png.3a4536b644fa90e06a8555a6558aea38.png

Okay thanks. And so will a 4 speed bell housing still work with machining?? And i believe im looking at a 71E now. Both sites ive found for rebuilds say its a 71E it was just confusing.

And so that one would still be strong enough also. 

I beat on my car but this tranny will probably never see more than 350 hp and im not even close to that yet

17 minutes ago, NewZed said:

The transmission rebuild industry seems to have gotten some bad information many years ago and it persists.  The 280ZX never had a 71C for example, and the 5 speed is a FS5W71B, not 71A.  These errors are found on many rebuild parts suppliers' sites. 

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/240SX5spd/transmission.htm

5 minutes ago, MerloZ said:

I beat on my car but this tranny will probably never see more than 350 hp and im not even close to that yet

In one of the threads on this site we went through the years of the 71X transmissions.  Only the later year 71C's got wider gears.  But they all had larger countershaft bearings.  

• 2 months later...

All right so with hours of research. I'm nearly positive the transmission I will be getting is the 71e it's a 93 so it should have wider gears I would hope. Haven't found too much info on that or on gear ratios. But by the looks of the transmission online it looks like it is shorter than the 240sx trans by at least 2 inches. But a short throw shifter from a 240sx will n

NOT work. Sadly I really wanted the b&m. But on a hardbody forum countless people have tried all 240sx short throws and the only one that could sort of work is the eBay one that's like 40 bucks and all you use is the new shifter rod. So I just think it's like swapping to a shorter shifter but not actually a short throw. The person I'm getting it from should have it pulled soon. I'm going to bring one of my 4 speeds and a spare driveshaft and clutch disk just to make sure that's all the same because I really can not find any definite answer on much of anything.. but if I can contribute to some info for another decent tranny swap that could potentially be cheaper than a 240sx trans I'll be happy. I'll keep y'all posted