HybridZ

Removing auto trans from seized motor

Ptero

I'm pretty sure that's the standard procedure for separating the engine and transmission with these motors. Unbolt the transmission, slide it directly backwards (or the engine directly forwards). The torque converter should stay with the engine and flex plate and the input shaft will slide out. Be ready to catch the ATF that's going to spill out (or don't, I don't care).

Not my pic, found on google images from https://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/2629-auto-gearbox-removal/

Also this should be in the manual. I haven't checked, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't be.

post-42-144023508554.jpg

Edited by ZHoob2004

2 hours ago, jhm said:

Why would you think there's a different process for separating tranny from a siezed motor vs a non-siezed motor?

I guess it's really more separating the torque converter from the engine.  Wasn't sure if I'd be able to get at the bolts without being able to turn the crank.

Ah, now I understand. 

Is the motor/trans already pulled from the car, or are you trying to swap the transmission from below (i.e. leaving the engine in the car during the transmission swap)?  Obviously could be tricky reaching some of the bolts if the latter.  My personal preference is to always pull the engine; but if you have access to a lift and a good transmission jack, you may prefer trying it without pulling the engine.

Do you have the FSM?  If not, you can download free manuals for every year at:  http://www.xenonzcar.com/

How seized? I would pull the spark plugs and spray a ton of PB blaster in there, maybe you can break it free. If it is mechanically locked up. I have no idea.... Get creative. Pull everything apart. Take the crank out with the converter on it.  

14 hours ago, Ptero said:

I guess it's really more separating the torque converter from the engine.  Wasn't sure if I'd be able to get at the bolts without being able to turn the crank.

If you're going to remove the crankshaft you could just wait until that's out then unbolt it.