HybridZ

Fender flares

.... wait a minute.... if you plan on doing fender flares, you must also be planning on cutting your fenders to allow the wheels to flush out to the flares! A fender flare that "sticks on" and does not have the added cut-away stock fenders is like putting a fake plastic hood scoop on your car..... :twocents:

Fender flares are a real commitment to do properly, not a simple visual mod. Otherwise you end up with inset wheels and a lot of people making fun of you at car meets....

I guess you are looking for stick on flares? Unless you are confused and looking for molded flares. 

Neither will allow your car to return to stock if installed correctly. If you keep your factory arches then you would actually have to raise the car in addition to adding the flare which would be silly. 

I have a set of unused rear smooth style ZG flares that I bought from (MSA) Motor Sport Auto and never ended up using them or plan on using them as I went a completely different route altogether. These are ultimately intended for bonding onto the stock rear quarter panels, but I imagine could be adhered instead for a type of temporary hold. The pictures included showing them taped on my car are actually resting on an existing wide body rear quarter panel from Ztrix.com, ( "Subtle Z" ) which are 1.5" width over stock. 

IMG_20171119_100402238_IRFV.jpg

IMG_20171119_100454068_IRFV.jpg

post-736-0-03899200-1399691437.jpg

post-736-0-12095300-1399691415.jpg

post-736-0-17862700-1399691457.jpg

P1030578_IRFV.jpg

P1030579_IRFV.jpg

P1030580_IRFV.jpg

P1030581_IRFV.jpg

P1030582_IRFV.jpg

P1030583_IRFV.jpg

Edited by Nelsonian

thanks for the responses.   I have a 240z with the flares on them but I hate having to had to drill into the fenders....The next Z im contemplating on leaving it on without  but will miss the wider tires and look.  I guess you cant have the best of both worlds.

IMG_7339.JPG

IMG_7326.jpg

Nice-looking 240.

I suppose you *could* mount standard flares right on the lower edge of the fenders with glue or double-sided tape, which might give you the look you're seeking.  You would then have to either space the wheels out (with spacers/wheel adapters), in order to "fill" the flare -- otherwise it would look really silly to have flares sticking way out but wheels and tires buried deep inside.

You would have to be extremely careful to measure and test fit everything to ensure that the wider stance does not result in interference between the tires and the fender sheetmetal.  Suspension travel would likely be limited, otherwise you're looking at a major interference issue.

All in all, a lot of work for pure aesthetics IMHO....and possibly to the detriment of functionality.  It actually looks like this is how your current flares are mounted, from looking at your pictures (except they are screwed in for mounting, vs tape or glue).  If those tires were wider, I'm sure there would be interference issues.

Drilling holes for the mounting hardware is actually very minimally invasive.  The real "damage" is done when cutting the sheetmetal to enable wheel movement and suspension travel, especially in the rear because you're cutting the unibody and having to reweld after cutting.

Probably not the answers you wanted.....

Yeah, I know the style you're talking about for trucks and jeeps.  Most of those are either clip-on, stick-on (with adhesive tape), or screw-on onto the inner lip of the fender (which is not visible unless you're lying on the ground looking up).  Have never seen that style ever produced for the S30; but maybe there's a market for them....you never know.

Here's a good discussion of this same topic from a few years ago.  One suggestion was to roll the fenders before installing the flares, which would help mitigate some of the clearance issues you face when you don't cut back the fenders.  May be helpful....:  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/24/2018 at 9:11 AM, captainkim said:

thanks for the responses.   I have a 240z with the flares on them but I hate having to had to drill into the fenders....The next Z im contemplating on leaving it on without  but will miss the wider tires and look.  I guess you cant have the best of both worlds.

IMG_7339.JPG

IMG_7326.jpg

how many inch are those flare and what wheel dimension love the fitment !!